SEVENTEEN. real life + text messages

LIAM WAS SWEATING. Not unusual for the balmy California afternoon, but truthfully it was only partially due to the heat. He needed to break up with Brett. Today. Scott and Mason had been giving him disapproving looks for the past three days every time they saw him with Brett. But the two of them had never broken up with anyone before, so it was none of their damn business if he wanted to enjoy a couple more days of quasi happiness with his boyfriend before his boyfriend became his ex and the feelings of anxiety in his gut reached the surface.

"Hey you," Brett leaned down to kiss Liam, who was already sitting at the patio seating of a cute little shaved ice place they had discovered.

Liam returned the kiss desperate to remember the last few moments of their relationship. It wasn't that it had been bad— it was great really— but there was no way that Liam could keep it up when his dreams were filled with Theo's face, and his heart did a little skip every time he saw the other boy. Liam wished that he still felt that way about Brett.

Brett was halfway through his shaved ice when he noticed Liam had barely touched his. "I told you that you wouldn't like mango." He said sensibly, offering his own (cotton candy, Liam's favorite) t switch with his boyfriend.

Liam shook his head, "It's not that." He licked his lips, steeling himself for what he was going to have to say. "I want to break up."

Brett was silent for a moment, blinking owlishly at him. Liam couldn't meet his eye, preferring to look just over his ex boyfriend's left shoulder. He looked back at his cup and poked at the mango with his spoon. When he finally drew up the courage to look back up at Brett, his eyes were closed and he was whispering softly to himself. Three things cannot long be hidden: the sun, the moon, the truth. Liam recognized it almost immediately; it was something Brett's adoptive mother had taught him for when he was upset about things, and Brett had taught the phrase to Liam as well. His heart ached, and Liam wished he could take back what he had said.

But he couldn't, and he wouldn't.

Brett stood suddenly, blue eyes wide open once again. "I should go." He said softly, shoving his wallet into his pocket.

Liam stood as well, "You don't have to go, I'm sorry! We should talk about this more." He urged Brett, looking at the taller boy.

Brett shook his head, "Not right now, we can talk later. Right now I'm going home." He turned and walked away quickly, taking the sunshine with him.

Liam sniffed awkwardly, not in the mood to be upset about the mess he had caused in the first place.

" THE PACK "
( DAD SCOTT, COLESLAW STILINSKI, MALIA (DPO), KIRACHU, HAYDEN 💩, EIGHT PACK ABS, ZAC, LYDS, and YOU )

EIGHT PACK ABS has left the chat.

COLESLAW STILINSKI
Wait what

LYDS
Liam what did you do?

" KIDS TABLE "
( MASE BABY, COREY OREY, EIGHT PACK ABS, HAYDEN 💩, and YOU )

EIGHT PACK ABS has left the chat.

HAYDEN 💩
do we smell bad or is he just being a little bitch

COREY OREY
i bet i can guess

COREY OREY
liam did you guys break up?

MASE BABY
why don't we not pry into their lives

COREY OREY

" SPIRITUAL GUIDES "
( DAD SCOTT, MASE BABY, and YOU )

YOU
are you guys happy now

DAD SCOTT
I never said that would make me happy

DAD SCOTT
I care about you and Brett and I want you guys to be happy and you wouldn't be if you stayed together

MASE BABY
it's not about our happiness it's about treating brett with the same respect he gives to you

MASE BABY
you can be mad but you didn't want to be with him and he deserves to know that