1

Ophelia  Morrison was starting grade 11. Her 17th birthday had been in August. She didn't have any friends, well, she technically did. Ophelia didn't like to call Meryl a friend. Meryl was always saying rude things to her and playing it off as a joke, and she was always giving her terrible advice. Meryl was infamous in the school for being sly and under-handed.

Ophelia was different. She was clever and quiet, and didn't like to talk about her own life too much. She wasn't shy, rather she prefered to observe. And when nobody but one of the most disliked people in school acknowledge your existence, you knew not to try and be noticed. Too much attention made things worse.

Ophelia ached for somebody besides her snaky companion to take notice of her. Luckily, or unluckily depending on who you are, she was about to catch somebody's eye.

The first day of school was upon all. Zombie-like grade 10s and 11s walked the halls, and mature grade 12s chatted and strolled. The only people who were running were the terrified new grade 9 kids. The "Niners" as the school called them, were the babies of the school. They were looked down upon by everybody.

Even Ophelia scoffed at how worried they were about being late, big groups of them would stand at classroom doors 5 minutes before the warning bell even rung. All the higher grades calmly walked to class or talked to their friends before class.

Ophelia waited in front of her new homeroom class. It was English. She held her binder close to her chest and daydreamed, until a familiar voice took her out of her daze. "Hey Lia!" Meryl said. "I got you some coffee." Meryl handed the medium Tim Hortons beverage to "Lia"

"Thanks Meryl." Ophelia smelled it.

"Haha, don't worry, no alcohol. I know how you are about being a goody-goody. Anyways, there's a new grade 11 English teacher, did ya hear?"

"Oh really? Thank goodness. I heard people talking about how strict Mrs. Lewis was last year." Ophelia sighed, relieved. "I hope the new one's good."

The bell rung and Meryl trotted off, late. On purpose. Ophelia and the other surrounding people entered the room and were greeted by a handsome man. He had black hair and glasses, and the sharpest jawline Ophelia had ever seen.

Ophelia's hazel eyes widened and she quickly went to a desk. She ended up at the front on closest to the teacher's desk. She sighed. She hated being in the front, as everybody would see her there. She prefered to exist quietly and out of sight if nobody cared about her anyway.

On the whiteboard a few things had been written in very nice handwriting; Mr. Davidson. Please sit anywhere you'd like.

After every one was seated, Mr. Davidson went to the front of the class. He glanced at Ophelia and smiled subtly before starting class. "Since it's your first day, we won't do anything crazy. I thought this would be a good opportunity to get some library books signed out."

Ophelia could agree with that. She loved reading, and was a very good reader as well. She often had to ask the teacher to help her reach the university level books. She smiled in spite of herself and saw the teacher glance at her again.

The class got up and made their way to the library. Ophelia had got up last, so she ended up walking next to Mr. Davidson. Her collar-bone length, wavy brunette locks bounced as she went.

Mr. Davidson himself, could not get over how pretty the girl was. She didn't have any makeup on, and she didn't need it. Her petite frame had subtle curves, and her eyes were big. She looked like a delicate fairy of some sort.

Of course the man knew that he shouldn't think of a student's appearance that way, but he did so anyways. He had a certain disregard for rules in general.

He noticed that she was different from the others in her personality. She was quiet and observant, not saying a word but her face told all. She had bags under her eyes, and her disposition suggested a separateness from the rest of the world. She always looked as though she were somewhere else.

Once they entered the library, Ophelia went straight to the university shelf. It was the highest shelf on the first non-fiction shelf. She saw Pride and Prejudice, Little Women, and A Little Princess. All three were books she had been wanting to read.

She saw Mr. Davidson standing near the desk where you sign out books, so she went over to him. "Can you help me reach the University books?" She asked. He smile and nodded. She showed him which ones she wanted.

"Ah, you like the classics. All three of these are very good." He handed her the books one by one. On the last one, their fingers touched. It didn't affect Ophelia, but if only she knew how it sent shivers up the man's spine.

The teacher shook off whatever thoughts he was having, and his gaze kept on Ophelia as she went to sign out her books. The librarian was not surprised to see her checking out such challenging literature, since she had known Ophelia for two years prior.

When they all went back to the classroom to read, Ophelia sunk into a world of her own. Sipping her coffee and becoming enveloped in the story of Sara Crewe in A Little Princess.

Reading was her escape. Reading took her away from the negligence that seemed to be her entire life, at school and at home. In the world of books, it didn't matter that she had no friends but a trouble maker, as the characters became her friends.

She didn't read books, she devoured them. She tuned everything else out.

Miles Davidson saw this in her face. Everybody else looked bored and emotionless. But Ophelia, Ophelia's eyes sparkled with anticipation for every word that came next. He saw that she gripped on to the book like it held her very soul.

The man was mesmerised. One can only imagine how his face fell when the bell rung for the end of class. Everybody sprang up quickly, but Ophelia slowly and calmly got up and grabbed her things.

She looked at her schedule and traced the words. Her next period was math in room 132. Ophelia didn't know where that was. She walked up to the handsome teacher. "Where is room 132?" She asked.

"On the second level, go forward down the hall and it's the first room on the left." He answered with a warn smile.

Ophelia nodded and left the room swiftly, and Mr. Davidson's eyes were on her until she was out of sight. She thought about the friendliness of the man, and how different he was from other teachers.

Ophelia decided she liked the new teacher more than all her other ones already, even though she hadn't seen them yet. She stopped at her locker to put her English binder away. Once she got there, she noticed somebody already there.

"Hey Lia." Meryl said, nodding.

"Hi Meryl." Ophelia said quietly.

"What's your next class? It's academic right?" Meryl crossed her arms.

"Math, in room 132." Ophelia groaned and rolled her eyes.

"Sucks to be you."

The warning bell rang and Ophelia quickly put her binder away and went up the stairs to her next class. The door was already open. She entered and saw only about 10 people. Of course, people ditched. Ophelia disliked math, but never cut class. It only caused trouble and wasn't worth it.

Ophelia sighed and sat at a desk near the back. She waited for class to begin.