9

The next day was take your kid to work day. Obviously, Ophelia did not participate. She knew most of the other kids (especially the low-lifes in her classes) would ditch if they didn't participate.

But, that was the least of her worries. That day she went to class with fresh bruises on her back. Her dad had been drunk again, but Ophelia doubted him being sober would have changed the situation. She just wanted to cry.

Ophelia entered the English classroom only to find that she was the only student there. She had no fear of public humiliation now, and when Mr. Davidson greeted her she went over to him and pratically fell into his arms.

Ophelia sobbed into his chest as Miles once again had a hand on her back and the other in her hair. He held her even closer, noticing her weeping to be more intense than last time. He needed no explanation as to why she was crying.

"Ssshhh...you're safe here. He won't ever hurt you again. I promise." Miles whispered into Ophelia's ear. He slowly let her go and once he got a good look at her face, he almost started to tear up. A big purple bruise was on her cheek. He removed her glasses.

Ophelia blushed as Mr. Davidson wiped her tears away with his large hand. He replaced the spectacles and stopped for a second. He leaned towards her and lighly kissed her forehead. Ophelia's blush deepened.

"But what will you do?" Ophelia asked, uncertain.

"I...will figure that out." Miles lied. He was so full of anger that he wanted to go and beat that man to death right then.

Ophelia saw that to be a satisfactory enough answer. She smiled subtly and hugged her teacher. He blushed, but Ophelia did not notice it. When she pulled away, the man got an idea. "Nobody is here. Let's go do something to make you feel better."

"That...sounds good." Ophelia replied.

"What about some coffee?" Miles proposed. That sounded perfect to Ophelia.

They ended up at Tim Hortons. Ophelia said she had money but Miles insisted on paying. They got a seat by the window and waited for their beverages to be ready. When they were, both got up to get them.

"Out for a father and daughter date?" The employee asked. Ophelia and Miles were quiet for a second. Mr. Davidson certainly looked too young to be her father. Ophelia akwardly shook her head.

"No...he's my...babysitter." She said, hoping it sounded legit. Apparently it did and they were handed the coffees. The two went to sit down and Miles chuckled.

"Babysitter, hmm?" He said with a mischevious smile. Ophelia blushed and looked down, embarassed.

"It's the only thing I could think of." Ophelia admitted. She adjusted her glasses and tried to look more sophisticated. "So...you live alone, huh?" She asked, he knew enough about her life so she thought it was only fair to ask about his.

"Yes, it gets lonely sometimes but at least I can focus on work." He answered. Ophelia was sad that he was lonely. She was too. Ophelia concluded that they were the only true friends one another had.

They chatted for a while. Both were thinking about very different things. But the base of the thoughts was eachother. Ophelia was thinking about what she could do to make her teacher less lonely, and Miles was thinking about the linguistics of his plan to save Ophelia from her father.

I just want to teach that man a lesson. How dare he harm such a perfect girl...nobody with a soul could do such a thing. I'll save her and then we can be together. Miles thought. He was incredibly mad on the inside, but calm on the outside.