10

Ophelia woke up enveloped in warm, soft white blankets. Different from her normal quilt. She instantly knew she couldn't be at home. As she full awoke, she slowly sat up to see a window with pastel blue curtains that allowed light to shine in, a dresser of the same hue, and a closet door.

"I must be dreaming. This is too nice to be real..." She whispered to herself. Ophelia slowly got out of the bed, not completely wanting to stop feeling the soft touch of the sheets and the blanket.

Ophelia looked around a second time, this time noticing the clothes on the dresser. She felt them and then picked up the sweater. "If this isn't a dream, these clothes won't disappear if I try to put them on." She told herself.

Ophelia changed and saw a hair brush on the dresser as well, next to lo and behold, her glasses. She put her glasses on then brushed her hair out and went to the door, stopping with her hand on the handle. What will I see when I open the door? Will I wake up?

Ophelia took a deep breath. She opened the door. There was an open door leading to a rather fancy bathroom. She turned and her jaw almost dropped. There was Mr. Davidson, making pancakes in a kitchen that looked like it was from a catalog.

"You're awake! I hope you aren't afraid...I just wanted to help." He said, looking at Ophelia. Ophelia strangely wasn't afraid actually, despite the knowledge that her English teacher had basically kidnapped her. It was a weird sort of calmness.

"Mr. Davidson...thank you." Ophelia stammered.

"You should call me Miles now." Miles said, flipping a pancake. He was happy she didn't scream or cry or get angry at him. Ophelia went into the kitchen and went behind Miles. She looked over his shoulder at the cooking food.

"I hope you'll like it." Miles said.

"I haven't had pancakes for a long time." Ophelia said dreamilly. She was hypnotised by the smell of them.

When they were ready, the two sat at the table and ate. Ophelia gobbled it up fast. She couldn't remember the last time she had a tried-and-true home cooked meal. It was amazing. The pancakes were fluffy and warm, and the syrup was real.

Miles happily stared at Ophelia once he finished his meal. She cleaned her plate and politely thanked him. Miles got up and took all the dishes to the sink, rinsing them before putting them into the dish washer.

"Why did you do it?" Ophelia asked in a small, feminine tone. She looked at the surprised man with a curious expression.

Silence for a few seconds.

"I care about you alot Ophelia. You don't deserve to be treated that way. I'll take care of you, we'll be happy. I..." Miles's voice trailed off. Not yet, He thought.

"Nobody has ever been so nice to me...or cared about me like that. Well, nobody except my mom. She passed away four years ago. She was always putting me before herself." Ophelia swallowed some tears. Miles knew her mom wasn't around, but he thought it was from divorce or something.

"I'm so sorry, that's terrible." He went to stand nearer to Ophelia. "If you don't mind me asking, how did she die?"

Ophelia had to attempt to swallow more tears. "Suicide." She choked out.

Miles froze. He put a hand on Ophelia's shoulder, but was shocked when she stood up and embraced him. She clutched the back of his white dress shirt. Miles kissed her forehead, and looked into her eyes before kissing it again.

Ophelia pulled away. She looked like she had just had an epiphany. "You were about to say something else, when I asked you why you're helping me." She said with as much calmness as she could muster. Ophelia's eyes were fixed onto the man.

Miles was still, frozen in thought. What could he say? Ophelia would be creeped out. But then, she let him kiss her forehead. And she embraced him by choice.

"It...it wasn't anything important." He sighed.

Ophelia was feeling bold, so she reached forward and grabbed Miles's hand. It was large and warm, gentle yet tensed up from her sudden touch. The tension in the hand released. What am I doing? Ophelia thought.

"Tell me please." Ophelia pleaded. Why do I need to know? Why is this so important to me? Ophelia tightened her grip on Miles's hand ever so slightly. Miles is blushing...? She thought, noticing his reddened cheeks.

"You don't want to hear it. I don't want to make you uncomfortable." He said, grabbing her other hand without meaning to. Ophelia tried to look a bit sad.

"Pleeeeaaaase?" Ophelia begged, her eyes like a kitten's. This is silly, it's probably nothing important like he said. I'm so weird.

"Okay. I will tell you. But you first need to promise that you won't hate me." He said longingly. He stared into Ophelia's eyes with a serious look on his face.

"I promise." Ophelia whispered, overwhelmed by the deep stare and his hands holding hers. She drew in a deep breath, preparing for something crazy. What she heard wasn't nearly as bad as the things that flitted thorugh her head.

"Ophelia...I..." Miles tried to speak, but he couldn't. He breathed in and out. His hand found Ophelia's back and the other still held on to her soft, slender hand. Miles pulled the speechless girl a bit closer.

"S-say it already." Ophelia blushed a deep red and felt chills throughout her whole body. She felt happy, safe, she wanted to...she wanted to kiss him. What is this feeling? Ophelia thought. Could I possibly...

"I love you." Miles finally said in a low, honest voice. He pulled Ophelia close and, to scared to find out her reaction, softly kissed her lips. They were soft. Both parties blushed, and Ophelia almost kissed back. She didn't because she was too busy being surprised.

As Miles pulled away, he saw the stars in Ophelia's eyes. She gazed at him, and knew she didn't want to be anywhere else. All was quiet for about three seconds.

"I love you too." Ophelia said in a small yet powerful voice. Miles pulled her closer to him again and struggled to keep from losing his cool. He smiled and Ophelia wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I will make you as happy as I can, and I will protect you from anybody who wants to hurt you. I'll try to make sure you never cry again, unless from happiness." Miles exclaimed.

Ophelia's phone rang, interupting the moment. She scowled and looked at it. It was just a youtube notification. "Stupid phone, ruining the moment like that."

The pair chuckled and sat together on the couch, cuddling and watching Steven Universe. Ophelia had to keep explaining stuff to him the whole time.

At one point during a commercial break Miles looked at Ophelia, who was leaning on his shoulder and holding his hand. The tv screen was reflected in her eyes and she was blushing a deep rosy pink.

He smiled and looked back at the television.

End