Chapter Twenty-Six

[26]

[26]

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

Milo remained completely still and silent as he watched the goddess stand behind Ollivander, of course, he was sure that out of everyone in the room, only he and the old wizard were actually aware of her presence. Hecate didn't look like she could be bothered being there, glancing around at the judges with her nose turned up. However, as her eyes trailed around the room and spotted Milo, she held quite the opposite reaction as she smiled at him. She didn't speak as Ollivander began his work, although she did cast a wink in his direction before returning her attention to the matter at hand. 

The champions were to gather to have their wands inspected by Ollivander to make sure they were all in prime condition. Considering Milo had only replaced his only a little over a year ago, he figured his was going to pass just fine. After all, there was only one place where he went to get his wands. He was sure that he and Angelina were going to be okay, but since neither Fleur or Viktor had gotten their wands from the Ollivander shop, Milo was curious to see how they were going to do. Ollivander tended to be picky about his wand making, only using specific cores normally and knowing each wand he ever made personally. 

"Mademoiselle Delacour, could we have you forward first, please?" Ollivander took the front and centre of the room, holding his hand out to carefully take the wand from the girl. Fleur looked all too pleased with herself to be selected first as she swept over to the man and gracefully placed her wand in his hand. 

"Hmmm ..." His process began as he rubbed his chin for a second, twirling the wand in his other hand. Immediately, the students were given a small show of pink and gold sparks that emitted from the tip before he held it completely still. He brought it close to his face while Hecate folded her arms over her chest to see what he was going to make of it. 

His voice was barely above a whisper as he seemed to only be talking to himself and as he continued to look over his shoulder, he spoke to Hecate. However, to those standing around except Milo, it really did look like he was just talking to himself.

"Yes, nine and a half inches ... inflexible ... rosewood ... and containing ... dear me ..."

"An 'air from ze 'ead of a Veela," Fleur said with a proud smirk. "One of my grandmuzzer's.'

"I knew it!" Milo called out excitedly, only to have all eyes fall on him. His excitement had brought him to throw his hands up in the air triumphantly, only for him to realise that none of his friends were really around and no one knew what the hell he was talking about. He had just been so excited to make the connection that Fleur was part-Veela, but no one there seemed to marvel at that aspect. However, knowing the boy, Ollivander did smile in his direction before turning back to Fleur.

"Yes," he began, "yes, I've never used Veela hair myself, of course. I find it makes for rather temperamental wands ... however, to each his own, and if this suits you ..."