The OUTLINE Form -- Filled Out

THE OUTLINE FORM -- FILLED OUT

Using the outline should divide your tasks into a much more manageable quantity, especially if your life is as hectic as mine has been and you don't get lots of writing time yet need to remain on task and on track. I find it is much easier to write small portions in intervals than all at once, especially if those intervals are guided by something so straightforward and easy-to-accomplish as this goal-setting system. Hopefully, this post will provide a clear example how to make writing a story easier, quicker and more concise.

In your outlines, you may write the basic ideas of your story as goofy, scary, serious, or intense as you want them to be. The outline will help you to stay on one path--reminding you of your tone, what is happening, and how it relates to the theme and overall story goal.

The best part?  As you write your book and think of changes you want to make, you can go ahead and actually change the points you noted.  Yep. You can do that before you write the next chapter or scene, which will save wasted time and wasted effort. 

Also, you don't even have to fill the entire thing out all at once, or to think yourself into an anneruism by trying to imagine the story through to the end before you've put pen to paper (or fingers to keys.) 

You can fill out each section of an outline AS YOU WRITE IT.   Or just after you've done so.  Being able to look back at what you've done, how you've condensed what's happened into single lines, will help you to see where the story needs to go and what is missing or too much.

This system helps one to reflect on the major background stuff that should support each scene or structure while also allowing that person to remain consistent throughout the story. It is a reminder from where you came, and to where you are headed or aiming. It means you won't start writing: Bob's Uncle Rides a Bike, and then end up writing: Bob's Tree-Climbing Cat is Allergic to Sunlight, although his uncle once also rode a bike.

Anywho, here is the example of a filled-out form, so you will get a better grasp on how to use it. (I find I learn better when I have actual examples, and I am aware that I am not alone in that.)  I will reveal all four sections' filled out forms for the entire book idea Dolly Wants to be Bald.  (The title itself inspired the whole thing, heheh.)  The idea just started taking off as I wrote more into the outlines, and then I crafted a quick blurb based on those four sections' outlines.  The blurb will be posted directly after the fourth Outline Section for the final part of the book idea.

----------------------------------------------------
PART ONE: BEGINNING TO INCITING INCIDENT
Thesis statement: Dolly wants to be bald.
I. Dolly becomes afraid of long hair.
A. Her sister Mary's hair caught on fire.
B. Her mother Margery's hair strangled the cat.
C. Her cousin Amber's hair got caught in a lawn mower.

II. Mary's hair caught on fire.  (Taken from above, remember.)
A. Mary was mean.
B. The whole family went camping.
C. Mary and Dolly argue.
i. (Dolly waves a burning stick at mean Mary, and Mary's hair catches on fire.)

III. Margery's hair strangled the cat.
A. Margery's braided hair fell about her ankles.
B. Margery fell asleep with a playful kitten in her lap.
C. The kitten got tangled up in her hair and strangled itself.

IV. Amber's hair got caught in a lawn mower.
(Three points here, same idea as before to flesh it out.)

V. Conclusion / Transition:
A. Dolly becomes afraid of long hair.
B. Dolly decides to find a pair of scissors. (Note: this is good enough to be the Thesis or the Main Idea Sentence of Part 2 of the story because the character wants change and decides to make change happen.)