A Basic Formula

Here is one take for writing pitches and queries.  It's a sort of basic formula that can be applied to the process of creating them (though, if you recall from the previous chapter's examples, it isn't the only way to write them).

When AA happens to MC, BB happens, but now she must YYY or ZZZ will result.

This is my interpretation of the above basic linear query formula:

AA - Inciting Incident

MC - Main character (the aforementioned "she")

BB - turning point - default action fails / needs new default action / must learn to change

YYY - conflict

ZZZ - consequences

Go ahead and try your hand at making some short pitches.  The more you practice, the better you get.

Just know that if you're having trouble narrowing your plot premise to these main things, you may have too many subplots and may not have set one major one as the absolute focus of your book.

When you can select just one and subjugate all other plots as secondary, and ensure everything in the book relates to the main, overarching reason for the book and everything therein, you will much more easily conquer this query / pitch thing like it was meant to be your personal blade, forged from the blood of your imagined enemies and blessed with the holy kiss of the muse.