Chapter Five

**AN: Hi everyone! How's your day so far? We're finally in December, which means I'm moving to NYC in less than 30 days and Christmas is on its way... yaaaay! Thanks for being so faithful to this fanfiction, I hope you guys will stick around because everything is getting interesting by now! Enjoy!**

_________________

Tony Stark was, as usual, working on some new weapons on his floor when F.R.I.D.A.Y. announced there was a plane speeding right on their direction. He put down his tools and went to the window and indeed saw a plane going right on the tower. He asked F.R.I.D.A.Y., while going on the top floor of the tower, where all the rest of his team should be, enjoying some aperitif with his girlfriend and now C.E.O. of his company, Stark Industries, Pepper Potts:

"F.R.I.D.A.Y., can you scan it and tell me who is piloting this freaking plane?"

"Yes, sir. The pilot is no one but Clint Barton, also known as Hawkeye, ex-member of the Avengers, and criminal wanted by all the governments of the Sokovia Accords, sir." F.R.I.D.A.Y. replied with its feminine voice.

"Goddamnit! Who else is in this plane???" Tony let out, irritated.

"Agent Romanoff, Sam Wilson, Wanda Maximoff, Thor, and Captain Rogers are with him, sir."

"Bloody hell."

"Should I blow this plane up, sir?"

"No. Let them land on the helipad. I'm coming as soon as I can."

Tony ran to the elevator and went upstairs. His fellow Avengers — Vision, Peter Parker, and his old friend Colonel James Rhodes, sat in a wheelchair, still not able to stay up all alone because of his paralysis caused during the battle against Steve's illegal faction of the Avengers — former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Maria Hill and Pepper were all contemplating the plane landing on the helipad, wondering who could ever come like this, unannounced. They all waited for everyone to get out of the plane and to enter the top floor of the tower. Steve Rogers entered first the room, soon followed by Thor, Natasha Romanoff, Hawkeye, Wanda Maximoff and Sam Wilson. Steve removed his Captain America helmet and said:

"Tony. It's been a while."

"Yeah. Like a year or so...?" Tony replied, a bit cold.

"Why didn't you call ever since?" Steve asked after an odd and awkward silence.

"You said to call if I needed you." Tony shrugged.

Steve looked around, quite disconcerted, trying to hide a glimpse of sadness in his eyes looking at the room. There was another wheelchair in the corner, next to the bar, with Rhodes' folders and guns ; on the sofa there was Peter Parker's bag with his physics and biology books lying around with unfinished homework on the coffee table ; next to Peter's homework there was Maria Hill's guns and Pepper's C.E.O. reports ; and near the kitchen next to the bar there was an actual television screen, displaying plenty of reminders destined to Vision in order to make him remember to pick up his clothes from the washing machine downstairs.

Steve looked away for a while, realising what it meant: Tony Stark and his faction of the Avengers did not need him at all for a year, and they didn't plan on needing him for a while. Tears wanted to stream down his face as he realised he kind of lost his only family, or at least tore it apart. Not telling Tony about his parents and not trying to understand Tony's motives to sign the Sokovia Accords broke them apart and somehow he couldn't bear it. Although, he stayed still, trying to hide his feelings, and put them aside because he needed him. For whatever reason Thor would give, and for whatever mission they would be up to for the next few days.