Keeps Getting Better

The bar was everything you'd think it would be. Lush decor, overpriced drinks, very attractive waiter for our table and obnoxious businessmen happy to throw their money around for a pretty face. Well at least that was the case where we were sitting. Apart from Hannah, I knew no one with us and the other women were not exactly the kind of people we usually hung around. In some ways I felt like I was back with the pack; they were tall, beautiful, intimidating and in other words - everything I wasn't.

"I hate when he brings his brother. If i had known, I probably wouldn't have come. Hurry up and finish that, then we can escape to the bar." Hannah whispers to me as, John - the brother, laughs so loud it's easy to hear him over the music playing. That's pretty damn loud.

"No! Cause then I'd be sitting at home with my cat and Breaking Bad reruns." I pout. Then again, that didn't sound like a bad way to spend a night. "Much better cocktails here."

She smiles as I drink my martini down fast. "I'm glad you're here too. Since you started working more from home I feel like I never see you. Another?"

"Allow me." One of the men smiles, leaning across the table he takes one of the spare glasses from the two other women near him and pushes over some of the champagne for us.

"Thank you." I'm cheap and a free drink is a free drink. Hesitantly Hannah takes a glass too, offering a quick smile before nudging me so I have no choice to get up. "What?"

"I see someone I want to say hi too, come with." We take our champagne and disappear from the upstairs area to the more casual seating options down below and out of sight. "Oh god, I hate him. This is really nice though."

"Is it always like this?" I ask.

"With Stephen? Only when his brother and friends are around." She sighs. "Stephens friends are lovely, he's lovely. I'm pretty sure they're like, part of a mob."

"That's a bit dramatic."

"I watch too much of the Sopranos." Hannah laughs. "But seriously, the shorter one, Tony, he came up in a couple of stories I wrote last year about the drug epidemic taking over the country. It makes me nervous to be around him."

Swapping werewolves and vampires for mobsters. Only in my life.

"We can go?" I offer.

"No, no!" She gulps down her champagne. "Don't hate me, but I also came here tonight to meet with a contact about something I'm working on."

"You're kidding?" So much for girls night.

"You know those horrible murders that have been going on? A contact I have in the police force let slip there have been more than we actually know about." Hannah slips into a vacant place by the bar and my stomach sinks.

"Seriously?"

"Yup. No real pattern or anything either which makes it like a hundred times scarier. Did you want something?" She asks as the bartender stops in front of her.

"Werewolves exist." I mumble, deciding that would probably be even scarier for her. She only frowns so I talk louder this time. "Water will be best."

She grins and nods, yet I don't get water, I get a shot glass with tequila.

"Couldn't hear you so thought you'd like this!" She smirks before we clink our glasses together.

We go back to our table for a little while and as soon as it hits midnight, I'm being ushered away from everyone again under the lie of we need to pee. Stephen looks as though he's having as much as fun with them as we were, but Hannah leaves him behind as we pass the toilets and sneak through the fire escape instead.