chapter vii.

WHEN LYARRA WOKE up, she was thankful Aegon wasn't there. She wouldn't know what to tell him. She didn't even know what to tell herself. What had she done? She had commited treason against her Queen, against her very own friend.

Rhaenys had been nothing but kind and caring towards her and she had betrayed her. She had shamed her home. She had exposed herself in a way she hadn't before. And the worst thing was that even though all those thoughts were fighting in her head together, there was only one that stood above all. What would Aegon think of her now?

He had seen her. He had woken next to her. Perhaps he had even heard her when she whispered to his ear that she was in love with him. And she really was which made it everything so much worse. Otherwise she wouldn't even dare to do what she did, but Aegon had that effect on her. He always made her feel more comfortable than others did. Except for Rhaenys, Lyarra thought. She was always comfortable around Rhaenys, but now that luxury was lost. She couldn't even look at her straight in the eyes. And how could she? She had broken her trust. She had betrayed her loyalty. She had fallen in love with her husband.

Lyarra stood from the bed, grasping at her brother's letter, before she headed out. Thankfully, the halls were almost empty. Everyone was working for Aegon's nameday.

His nameday. That was a day Lyarra feared, but now she was craving for it to come sooner. She was trying to shut out the idea of a marriage arrangement occuring in the feast completely, but now it seemed like her only choice. She could never go back to the North unwed; she knew that the minute she left, but she couldn't stay here either. She couldn't face Rhaenys everyday or Visenya or Aegon, especially Aegon. A marriage was the safe way out, the only way out.

Lyarra ran straight to her chambers, all the way wishing no one would see her. She shut the door behind her so harshly, she swear she might have broken it, but there was no time to waste on that. She threw her cloak on the floor and got rid of her dress. She picked up one of the first ones she saw, a deep blue gown and turned to the mirror. Her hair was a mess. Her braids had fallen off and her ends were tangled. She brushed them quickly and simply combined two strands of hair together in the back, before she let out a heavy sigh and headed out the door.

On her way to the Great Hall, her mind couldn't shut up. Her thoughts were running wild that it was like she was reliving every single moment from last night. The worst part was that she didn't regret it. She would have done it all over again, for the single blissful moment of seeing Aegon so close to her, of getting it off her chest. And she hated herself for it.

The first person she noticed, once she entered the Great Hall was Visenya and a few men standing in front of her. They bowed their heads to their Queen as Visenya spoke proudly. She wasn't very close, but Lyarra could hear her commanding, stern tone. Visenya was truly a leader, a woman fit to order people around and that was easy to tell from every single action of hers since Aegon was crowned. People could say she ruled the Kingdoms more than he did and it would be true.