19. ( Yours )

Chapter 19

° Yours °

One year.

Lyarra had spent one year in King's Landing. When her parents decided to send her away, she had questioned their decision. But the more she stayed in the capital, the most she realized how different it was from the stories she had heard.

King's Landing was far from the hostile snake pit the Northeners had pictured it like. It was unlike anything Lyarra had seen before, but not in a bad way. In the South, flowers bloomed everyday. The sun was warm on people's skin, only the sea of Flea Bottom providing a soft breeze. In every way Winterfell was cold and distant, King's Landing was bright and friendly. More friendly perhaps than it should have been. Winterfell was her home and she could never deny loving it deeply, but she needed to get away, to see more than the snowy landscapes and the broody lords of the Houses. She needed to get away from her brother's grip. And because of that it pained her ten times more to think about the fact that Elric was right.

The Targaryens were not to be trusted, for in the end of the day they stuck together the same way the Northerners did for each other. And no matter how close to them she was, no matter how much she could trust her life in Rhaenys' hands or how much she treasured Aegon, she was still the odd one out. She was still a foreigner. And they would always choose each other over her. A Targaryen could only belong to a Targaryen, Rhaenys had said mockingly. If only she could comprehend how much truth was hidden behind those words.

One year.

One year ago, Lyarra came to King's Landing hoping to find what it was she was looking for. She didn't know what it was back then, but she knew she would find it. And she did. She found far more things than those she was looking for in the first place. She had found a friend. She had found a lover. She had found a home. And she had lost it all.

One year.

It had been one year since Lyarra had come to King's Landing. She had traded on home for another and now here she was again, leaving King's Landing again, only now she was forced to call a foreign land her home and a stranger her husband.

Lyarra looked back to the newly built Keep for the last time. Her eyes drifted unconsciously to the balcony at the top left, the one that belongled to Aegon, wondering whether she'd rather see his figure standing there, looking for her, hoping to see her one more time - one last time - or not but it didn't matter now, because the balcony was empty and Aegon was not there to see her. She sighed, pulling herself together and went into the carriage, sitting besides Rhaenys. Aegon wouldn't care to see her and that was a fact she'd have to accept sooner rather than later.

Lyarra had argued about how there was no need for Rhaenys to come with her and that she would be fine on her own, but Rhaenys had brushed her off, questioning what kind of a friend she would be if she missed her wedding. The truth was Lyarra wouldn't blame her if she did. She wouldn't blame her if she never wanted to see her again either.