chapter xiii.

CHAPTER XIII

WHEN A KNOCK was heard on the door, Lyarra threw herself from the bed and ran towards it. She had excused herself early this evening, claiming that she felt unwell, doing her best to avoid Rhaenys' offers to send the Maester to see her, but as she wrapped her palm around the knob, she didn't feel the slightest bit ill.

As the door was pushed open, Aegon came in view, his hair kneat under his ruby crown, dressed in his formal attire, a look so different than the one Lyarra was used to see him in at this time at night.

"Your Grace." Lyarra greeted him, while Aegon nodded his head.

Lyarra pushed the door aside, enough for him to enter. She looked around outside of the room, before she shut the door softly, silently.

"Did anyone see you?" She exclaimed worryingly, but Aegon shook his head as he started walking closer to her.

It was then that a large smile was spread on Lyarra's face, a smile that almost immediately appeared on Aegon too, as she threw herself his arms, colliding her lips with his. Aegon wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer to him, hoping to feel her, to sense her as much as he could and Lyarra had never felt more alive in her life.

It was in moments like these, in the moments she shared with Aegon these last couple weeks that erased every doubt she had, every fiber of guilt she had been feeling. It wasn't right, that Lyarra knew, but as she was cooed in Aegon's arms, sharing his breath, her fingers tangled in his silver curls, she couldn't define what was right or wrong and even if she could, she didn't care.

"I missed you." Aegon whispered to her ear, as he parted his lips from hers, bringing his finger to caress her cheek.

"It's not that simple." Lyarra shook her head, smiling softly. "You have a Kingdom to rule."

"And yet here I am." He grinned. "That's all that matters now."

Lyarra did not want to push the matter further, especially since Aegon was right. That was all that mattered now and so she leaned in to kiss him again, a kiss Aegon rushed to respond to.

"So" He said, after distancing himself from her face. "Did you respond to your family?"

Lyarra's eyes fell unconsciously on the piece of paper still lying on her desk. Not too many days ago, a letter arrived from Winterfell from her father, asking to hear news of her and her life in the capital. She had not found the strength to reply yet. She couldn't bring herself to, for she didn't even know what she wanted to tell them.

She couldn't share with them what she felt. She couldn't tell them about Aegon and how happy he made her. She couldn't tell them about how she refused to marry Cyran, not too long ago. Most importantly she couldn't answer their biggest question, the one that even though they did not include directly in their letter, it was clear they expected an answer. Why hadn't she found a suitable suitor yet?

She was sent to King's Landing in hopes for the Starks to ally themselves with the crown and as a symbol of union between the new Kingdoms Rhaenys would ensure a proper Southern husband for Lyarra. But that was nowhere near reality and how could she tell her parents that it was her that asked of Rhaenys to stop looking for a while? She had said to her that she wasn't ready for a marriage just yet and Rhaenys in all her kindness had told her that there was nothing to worry about and that when the time would be right, she would find her the best option.