24. ( Love is the greatest kind of treason )

Trigger Warning (spoiler in the comments)

CHAPTER XXIV

-

'Love is the greatest kind of treason'

THE NEWS OF the war breaking out reached the Eyrie faster than expected

THE NEWS OF the war breaking out reached the Eyrie faster than expected. Aegon's troops had settled outside the walls of Dorne and the Princess' refusal to surrender had hardly made the situation any easier. Aegon wouldn't back down. He had gone too far to go back now and he could no longer return to King's Landing or even Dragonstone defeated. If one head remains unbowed, the rest will also rise. Aegon's words had not made sense to her then, but now she had began to comprehend them. Dorne had remained unbent for too long and Aegon did not have the luxury of waiting. He had the title of the "Conqueror" weighing him down.

Ronell hadn't talked to her since that night, but they had grown more at ease with each other. There were no more secrets or unspoken truths lingering between them and the thought was comforting at least. After the announcement of the war, he had secluded himself in his strategy room, rarely leaving, his bannermen walking in and out from the crack of dawn till sunrise. He must have been sending troops to support Aegon.

"It wouldn't matter anyway." She overheard him, speaking to a man Lyarra had regularly seen by his side. "What worth do my men hold in front of his beasts?"

Lyarra had heard of Aegon embracing Balerion again, of flying above Dorne, the image itself petrifying. The beast had grown to the size of a town, his shadow casted upon Dorne, shielding it from the sun, or so the rumours said. People loved to talk, that much was true, but Lyarra knew better than that. She had seen them, landing on her home. She had witnessed the magical and fearful creatures that were dragons. She had lived among them. And she knew better than anyone what being a dragonrider meant. Aegon was ready. He was ready to take what he wanted. He was ready to conquer. He never rode for pleasure anyway.

"My Lord" A man of Ronell's spoke one day, as the two broke their fast, a habit they were eager to maintain despite their new established relationship. "King Aegon returned to Dragonstone."

"He left Dorne?" Ronell expressed what Lyarra was thinking, She struggled to understand why he would leave, why now when he had stood in front of their gates – or above them – for all those weeks?

"He has entrusted the issue to Queen Rhaenys. She is believed to lead the first battle."

"Not Queen Visenya?" Lyarra's voice came out muffled and Ronell fixed his posture. He was uncomfortable for some reason.

"No, my Lady." He assured her.

"Is she riding?" Ronell spoke again, this time more composed.

"Yes, my Lord." He took a breath, before he continued. "The sight is horrifying from what they say."