17. ( Ice Melting )

° Chapter 17 °

" Ice Melting "

       The days seemed to pass by slower, in a torturing pace ever since that meeting with Visenya outside of Aegon's chambers

       The days seemed to pass by slower, in a torturing pace ever since that meeting with Visenya outside of Aegon's chambers. The dragon Queen had not pushed the matter further, nor had she spoken of the incident again, but in the few moments Lyarra had bumped into her - something she had been avoiding at all costs - The deadly glares she shot her way were saying only one thing... She had not forgotten.

In all honesty, it surprised Lyarra how quiet everything was, how normal everything looked. Orys Baratheon had returned to his usual duties, occasionally leaving King's Landing to visit his very heavily pregnant wife at Storm's End, never mentioning anything about the talk the two of them held a few mornings ago. And as of Rhaenys, the Queen seemed oblivious to the entire shadow that had been casted upon the Keep, looking as happy and energetic as ever, despite the sudden news that had reached the Keep, something Lyarra couldn't say about Aegon.

The truth was, she had been seeing him less and less ever since that night, since the man would often be locked up in his office or library, studying and thinking, planning and worrying, significantly more than usual. Ever since he claimed the Kingdoms, Aegon knew that the surrender of Dorne would be proven a rather bothersome issue and despite the fact that he knew very well that this could only end one way, war was never a good thing to plan.

"Why is it so important that Dorne surrenders?" She had asked Rhaenys during one of the last peaceful walks the two of them had in the gardens.

"Because the point of the whole Conqeust was to unite Westeros under one King. When Dorne decided not to accept this, they started a rebellion without even realizing." The silver haired woman spoke gently, as if explaining all of this to a child. "WE cannot allow there to be two Kings in one Kingdom. If Dorne wants their own Queen, soon many other Houses will join them on this. Everything we fought for will be lost along with the peace we so eagerly wanted. Can you imagine what will follow, Lyarra?"

The girl nodded her head, as pictures of when her father had left to war flooded her mind. The North was dying, suffering. She had seen strong women cry in fear of their children, ruining their knees, sitted in front of the Old gods and praying for what seemed like hours. And even when her father returned to Wintetfell alongside Aegon, things had not changed much, for that fear still dwelled in their hearts. It wasn't easy to piece together what had already started to break and with the prospect of a new war approaching, things would only get worse.

"Can't you reasonate with her?" Lyarra asked. "The Queen, I mean."

Rhaenys grinned. "I doubt it. She is a strong woman, that one, proud... She will not bend that easily. And if it wasn't for all of this, I would admire her for that." Rhaenys took a look at the girl next to her, who had grown so much in the time they have been together.