Holding Your Breath

There was noise all around him, but he didn't seem to be able to hear it. There was blood seeping below his fingertips, but he couldn't see it. There were tears in his eyes, though he couldn't feel them. In fact, he couldn't seem to feel anything but empty.

The world was ending in one quick swoop as Kai whispered Cinder's name over and over again. He had become a hysterical mess as Officer Clay clumsily bandaged Cinder's wounds with pieces of his own, and the Wolves shirts.

Kai couldn't see any of this. He couldn't watch as Jacin bandaged Cinder. He couldn't watch as Scarlet spoke softly to Thorne. He couldn't watch as Thorne tried to stand, but collapsed to the ground. He was not in his head, but above the entire thing; his eyes only allowing him to gaze at the knife traitorously protruding from Cinder.

A loud bang shook the entire room, and in emerged a wolf mutant. Everyone jumped, including Kai, his head suddenly clearing at the threat. He moved to shield Cinder from any more harm that could come. He would not let another one of them touch her.

Beside Kai, Jacin pulled his gun, pointing it at the mutant. The wolf, however, didn't even throw a glance their way as he charged towards Scarlet.

Scarlet let out a cry of fear as the monster advanced on her, and Thorne grabbed onto her as though to anchor her. Jacin released the safety on his gun, though the mutant had already come to a stop and was whispering hastily to Scarlet.

An argument broke out in the chapel, though Kai tuned it out. The immediate threat was gone, and his focus had returned to Cinder. They were all standing there wasting time, while Cinder was quickly bleeding to death. There was no time for arguments, they had to get out of the hospital before Cinder was lost to him forever.

None of the words being shouted registered in Kai's brain as the four other people took turns yelling. He turned to face the group, his voice resounding with the authority that he only used in public speaking. Except when he spoke, his voice had a scary quality that no one had ever heard from him; not the precious marshmallow that they all knew and loved, but a fierce, scared animal.

"Shut up!" Kai said, his voice quiet but carrying. "Cinder is dying over here," Kai's voice broke, but he continued, "and all you can manage to do is argue? We have to get out of this darned hospital, and we have to do it now."

"I can't lose her. None of us can."

Silence fell for a few moments, and not even Thorne dared to break it. They had all come to an agreement: they had to get Cinder out.

Kai scooped up Cinder tenderly, making sure that he wasn't hurting her any further. She made no sound. He warded off any attempts of Officer Clay and the wolf-man to take Cinder from his grasp. He was not going to let another one of them touch her, even if they were good. He didn't trust them; especially the monster.

The half dozen of them charged from the chapel, quite ready to evacuate. The mutant, Wolf, led the group. Scarlet guided Thorne, grasping his arm and cursing at him the entire way. Kai ran just behind the pair, his adrenaline giving him all the energy he needed to both run and carry Cinder. Jacin remained in the back of the pack, gun at attention and ready to defend if needed.

Thousands of thoughts twisted painfully through Kai's mind as they sprinted down those hallways. He worried that they had been too slow, and that Cinder was already dead. He dreaded every turn they made, fearing that more wolves would come and take Cinder away for more torture. Most of all, he blamed himself for panicking when Cinder needed him most. He didn't want her to die, but wouldn't be able to live with himself if it was his fault.

Sweat began mixing with Cinder's blood on Kai's skin as the group reached Cress's cell. She was standing outside of the door, flashlight still clutched in her small hands. She looked pale and sickly, swaying on the spot as the huge wolf-man threw her over his shoulder and continued running. Kai would have protested, though he couldn't catch his breath and they didn't seem to have other options.