The Shame of the Living

Laughter cracked through the crowded room in joyous waves. Even stoney-faced Jacin, and solem Kinney let out small chuckles at Kai's well told joke. It almost felt as if they weren't at a hospital after the most traumatizing event of all of their lives. They could have all been normal kids, if not for their past and current circumstances.

It had been ten days since the "Battle of Luna Hospital" as Thorne had named it. The ten who had been there against Dr. Erland were all now crowded within Cinder's small room, huddled around her bed. It was the first time since the ordeal that all of them had been together, and it could have been considered overwhelming. Scarlet loved it.

After everything that had happened to her, from her grandmother dying, to listening to her best friend get beaten to near death, to getting her pinky chopped off, she was forever grateful for her wonderful friends. It was amazing sitting there with all of them. It was cute watching Kai sit next to Cinder, clutching her hand. Winter and Jacin were adorable in their small, innocent ways. Iko and Kinney fought with each other playfully, even while separated by multiple bodies. For once, Thorne listened and tried to help someone other than himself.

Scarlet sat beside Wolf, though there was no contact between them. They had spoken to each other after the events of the "battle" and had talked things out. Wolf had been immensely sorry, and Scarlet forgave him. They had hugged after telling each other everything, promising that no more secrets would be kept. Scarlet had only had one condition to their friendship; they would only be friends. The only problem was that she still couldn't even look at the guy.

At one point, Scarlet would have definitely admitted that she had deeper feelings for Wolf than friendship. She liked him in a way she had rarely ever liked anyone. It had been exciting, and the two had even come up for a code name for each other. Scarlet could have been perfectly happy with her forbidden romance with a certain alpha, but now she didn't know what to think.

Wolf, of course, had agreed to the whole friend thing. They had not spoken since that conversation. It had been over a week.

Almost all of the physical injuries from the nightmare of Luna Hospital were gone, except for a few scars. Only Cinder remained in the hospital, but even she would be permitted to leave within the following weeks. The only real injuries that remained were mental. Scarlet could tell that they were all suffering, but there was someone that she was worried about more than all the others.

"Hey, Cress," Scarlet looked across the room to where Cress sat. Her hair had been cut into a choppy, but cute bob. She looked the most nervous in the group setting, even with a blank-eyed Thorne beside her. Her hands almost visibly shook where they were clasped in her lap, and the look of fear on her face made Scarlet sad. She knew what it was like to have an abusive and manipulative father. She knew that about half the people in the room could relate to her in that department.

"Scarlet-" Thorne cut in, his voice warning. Cress touched his arm whispering something to him so quietly that no one else could hear. For once, Thorne shut up. Cress looked back to Scarlet and nodded her head in ascent.

Squirming in her chair, and looking at her bandaged hand, Scarlet continued. "I know that you have a home and everything, and that it's really nice. I also know that Thorne has a sketchy garage and Kai is your best friend and has a nice house as well, but..." Scarlet paused, unsure of how to place her words. She didn't want to scare the girl, but also knew that she needed someone whom she could rely on and have a steady, safe life. Cress needed Scarlet just as much as Scarlet needed her. "I was wondering if you'd like to come live with me?"

Silence filled the air. Cress stared at Scarlet, dumbstruck. Her mouth opened into an "O" before she closed it and bit her lip. Cress looked wary, but Scarlet waited for her to respond. "Scarlet, I appreciate it, I really do." Tears began to shimmer in Cress's eyes and she began to fidget with her hands. "But my father is the reason your grandmother is dead. He's the reason why you lost your finger. He almost killed you."