Freedom [Boyf-Riends]

Warnings!!!:
×blood
×self-harm
×cliché plot

It's a tragedy with a good ending I swear, I'm bad at sad stories. Sorry if it's confusing?????
______________

He thought he got over it. He thought it was getting better. He thought they were in love. He thought they were meant to be together. He thought his feelings were finally returned. He thought he'd be never alone... ever again. He thought--

He was worthless.

And he was alone once again.

Tears were rolling down his cheeks and he gave up on wiping the wet drops from his face. No voice accompanied the tears. His vocal cords were tired from all the crying. His hands were trembling and wouldn't move even if he really wanted them to. The bathroom was a silent place. A perfect place to think. His eyes were closed, re-playing the events of the last 24 hours...

___

Jeremy was holding Michael's hands in his, rubbing circles on the back of Michael's hands with his thumbs. They were in Jeremy's room, after a long day in school. Michael was talking about plans they made for this weekend, making both boys smile. Michael, Jeremy realized, looked extremely adorable when he was describing something he loved.

A phone rang, startling Michael a little and making him go quiet. Jeremy had to laugh at that. The lanky boy kissed his boyfriend's cheek before pulling away to answer the phone. Jeremy was forced to stand up, leaving Michael on the bed. With a phone pressed against his ear he left the room.

It was her. She called him. Jeremy was speechless for a moment, closing door of the bathroom. Having as much privacy as possible - even if he felt a little bad for doing so. He leant against the door, giving all his attention to her.

"I want to get back together," were words that shocked Jeremy. "It was a mistake that we broke up," she continued, her voice gentle.
"W-what are you talking about...?" Jeremy whispered, starting to sweat. "What do you... You can't be - You can't be serious..." he stammered, keeping his voice low.

"I am, please... I know you still love me," her voice was self-confident.
Jeremy felt his heart skip a beat - it couldn't be true. He loved Michael! He knew it! He was sure of it! He took a minute before speaking again: "I am with Michael now..." he tried to sound as confident as she did, but he failed miserably.

"Liar."

But was he? Was he really a liar?

"He's a replacement, Jeremy," her sweet voice insisted. Maybe she was right. But was she really?

It was silence. Long and uncomfortable silence filled the bathroom. Both of them were quiet. She was waiting for him to speak. It took him so long to answer. He had no idea he'd regret those words so quick, though.

"You're right. He's replacement."

"I know, I am glad you realised that," she said. Jeremy felt as if she was nodding.
"I... thanks," Jeremy said. "I'll... I have to... I have to do something..." he mumbled.
"Yes, I'll wait for you at my place," was her last words before hanging up.

Jeremy stayed in the bathroom for another five minutes. It took him painfully long to pick up some little courage he had. He stood up, opening the door. He just barely missed Michael who disappeared in Jeremy's room, but Jeremy did hear the bed creak a little. It gave him a bad feeling. Jeremy rushed in the room, looking at Michael who was sitting on the bed.

To Jeremy's horror, Michael's eyes were filled with tears. Michael was looking at him through his tearful eyes. Jeremy noticed Michael was shaking, too.

"Micah-" Jeremy started. "Michael, no-- let me explain-" but Michael didn't let him.
"No. No. Jere- Jeremy, no," the boy shook his head, trying to wipe the tears but failing. "I heard it, okay? No... No need to repeat that," he stood up, his knees almost giving up.
Jeremy wanted to help Michael, but he was pushed away.

"D-Don't... Please, just... Just..." Michael's world was crumbling right in front of him, Jeremy having seats in the front line to see Michael shatter to pieces.

"Michael-"

Michael shook his head one last time before running away. He even forgot his red hoodie there on Jeremy's bed. Jeremy was speechless. He felt his own heart break.
What had he done? Oh God. He didn't waste any more time and called her back. But all he said was: "Do not call me again."

He was alone with himself.

___

Michael was sitting - lying in the bathroom, slouched in the bathtub filled with unnaturally red water. His eyes were closed, he seemed calm, his tears had dried, leaving just faintly visible traits. He wasn't moving. His chest wasn't heaving with breathing.

It had to be a few hours now since he got in the bathtub. It had to be long minutes since he dropped the razor because he wasn't strong enough to really do it. The cuts were there. The blood was filling the tub and mixing with water, but those streaks of blood were small - there was just many of them.

And there was pounding on the door. There was screaming. There were attempts to call on his phone. There was chaotic looking for spare key. There was a happy yelp when the key was found. The door flew open and a gasp left someone's lips.
"NO! Michael?!" the voice screamed, panic filling the heart of the owner. Jeremy finally found his way inside the bathroom, rushing towards the tub filled with the bloody mess. "Michael! Oh my GOD! No, Michael!" he was desperate.

Jeremy pulled Michael's body out of the bathtub, immediately noticing the cuts. He regretted everything, he felt responsible -- HE WAS. It was his fault. He was supposed to hang up on her the second she called!
"Michael? Please... Please, wake up," Jeremy checked Michael's pulse for the fifth time in a span of three minutes and as adrenalin left Jeremy, sadness and desperation took over. He began to sob. He gave Michael medical treatment - as best as he could. He was craddling the poor boy in his arms. His clothes were now getting soaked with blood and water.

"You can't leave me... Do you understand?!" Jeremy cried, helpless.

___

"-ael... please..." the voice was very familiar. But it made him sad.

"You can't leave me," he heard soft sobbing and something wet hit his hand. He was curious what that was.

"I love you," he heard the quiet whisper. He didn't expect to hear that ever again.

His eyes fluttered open, it was white - too white for his liking, not like his basement. He felt his hand being squeezed tightly. It was almost painful.

"Jer..." he tried to speak, but his voice weak. "... I love you too..."

Jeremy's head shot up and he looked at Michael: "MICHAEL," he cried out, moving closer to the barely conscious boy. "Y-You're awake... Oh god, you're alive..." Jeremy's voice full of disbelief.
"You're a nerd," Michael smiled faintly.
"But I am your nerd..." Jeremy winked, earning a giggle from Michael. "I am so sorry... that won't happen again... ever," he apologized, leaning close to kiss his beloved one on the lips.

"Yeah... it better not," Michael sighed, finally at peace.

"We'll be together... forever," Jeremy promised. Both boys content with the outcome of this drama.