Chapter 2

Regina woke early the next morning to gorgeous sunlight filtering through the trees, straight onto her face. It took a couple of seconds for her to remember where she was, but when she did, she felt just a little lighter than she had in a long while. She knew she should be annoyed at having to spend the next couple of weeks with a bunch of strange men and a little boy who looked far too familiar for comfort, but she wasn't. She felt strangely at peace with the world, something she hadn't felt since Daniel passed.

She rose quietly, trying not to disturb the still-sleeping Roland, and withdrew to the little stream nearby to wash her face and untangle her hair, which had come loose in the night. She worked her fingers through, using a calm pool as a makeshift mirror before replaiting it.

A twig snapped behind her and she whipped round, walls snapping up.

"It's only me!" Robin held up his hands in surrender. Regina smiled before picking up the plait where she left off.

"You weren't in the tent, I simply wondered where you were. As the one who agreed to let you join us I feel a responsibility for you."

"Well, you'd be the first."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It made me more independent, and whether I'm going to be trapped in a loveless marriage or on the run for the rest of my life I need to be. There is, however, always the possibility of my mother finding me, so please don't be offended if I seem touchy." She tied the end off, flicking it back over her shoulder before making to walk past him back to camp.

"Regina, wait." He grabbed her arm gently, stopping her from walking away.

"What is it?" He was standing rather close to her, his clear blue eyes gazing into hers.

"Your sleeve's still ripped."

"Oh."

"Let me mend it for you."

"All right." He drew a needle and thread out of his pocket. Honestly, he seemed to have everything he needed on him at any one time.

He untied the handkerchief he'd used to bind her cut the previous day.

"That's looking good, it should be healed in a few days. Now, hold still." He gently pinched the material together, the needle flying in and out with remarkable speed.

"There, that should do it."

"Who knew a thief could sew?"

"Who knew an upper-class lady could ride like a bandit?" he countered.

Their hands brushed slightly as he ran his hand down her arm to check the stitches. Something compelled her to grip his fingers slightly as she thanked him.

"It's my pleasure, milady." There was a strange look in his eyes. Regina's breath caught in her throat as she recognised that look. It was the look of someone who was still dealing with the loss of a loved one.

They only let go when a voice disturbed the quiet.

"Papa!" They turned to see Roland running at full pelt towards them, his boots undone and only wearing a cloak over his nightgown. Robin grunted as he picked him up.

"Good morning! And how did you sleep? Was Regina all right? Didn't snore?" The last was stage-whispered. The boy giggled and shook his head.

"Thank you for the story, Gina."

"You're very welcome. And it's Regina. Re-gi-na."

"Gina," he insisted, sticking his bottom lip out in a way that made her want to hug him and never let go.