Chapter 6

Author's Note: Lots of ship terminology used in this chapter so a mini-dictionary for anyone who may need it:

Bow (pronounced: to bow out of a contest): the front of the ship

Stern: the back

Port: left side facing forwards

Starboard: right side facing forwards

Foredeck: the foremost part of the deck

Main deck: the mid-section of the ship

Poop (deck): the high rear deck, where the wheel is (think Rolly Jodger)

Bowsprit: long pole jutting out from the bow, helps balance the ship

Gunnel: the 'wall' running round the side of the deck

Wash: the water flowing around the boat; the movement of the boat causing waves to fan out behind it

Small beer: very weak beer, much safer to drink than water right up to beyond Victorian times, even for children

The cat: Cat o'nine tails, common method of punishment at sea consisting of nine thin leather strips joined together at one end and whipped repeatedly across the offender's back

Anything else anyone doesn't understand, message me and I'll edit accordingly :)

****************

They reached the docks at lunchtime the next day, much to Regina's relief. Robin had been cold, understandably, but it still hurt; Roland had guessed something was wrong and kept trying to get them to talk to each other. Not that they didn't speak any more, more that their easy banter was gone and Robin was sleeping outside again.

Just before they joined the road full of people Robin gave the men all a meeting time; Regina felt sad that she was no longer included in his ensuring everyone was in a certain place at a certain time.

Before they left, the men all gave her small gifts: a drinking horn, two small lighting flints, a knife, a needle and some reels of tough thread just in case they didn't see her before the ship sailed. She was touched to realise they'd grown to like her as much as she liked and admired them, though they tried to pass it off as being practical-minded she hugged them all anyway.

The dock was a busy place: people everywhere, sailors, traders, beggars, stray children running everywhere, bawdy women in rather revealing dresses that made Regina uncomfortable to look at, a couple of officers striding around in their blue uniforms. She'd never seen so many people in one place and the noise was incredible. A host of ships lined the quayside, all different sizes and in different states of repair. Men hung from the rigging and down the hull, painting, scraping shells, repairing breaches. It was a fascinating scene.

Robin gave her a small pouch and told her to go get some new clothes.

"That habit is looking rather the worse for wear. I'll find passage for you." She nodded and made her way to a simple-looking dressmaker's shop, leaving Jerry tied up outside with her bow and arrow. The woman behind the counter greeted her with a smile.

"Hello, Ma'am, I'm looking for a couple of simple dresses? Just for everyday, nothing fancy." She felt the most awkward she'd ever been. So much for the upper classes being more refined and socially capable, she thought. The woman was very helpful though, and soon she was fitted out with two new premades* of slightly differing browns, a linen shift and a shawl.

*premades: ready made dresses in a tailor's shop. Could usually be altered before buying but weren't made to measure

"There you go, my dear," the woman wrapped the clothing up in a neat package, surprising Regina with her ability at making it as small as possible.