Chapter 7

A/N: Just a little one this time and I'm still not sure I'm 100% happy with it but I'm well aware I haven't updated in a while SO here ya go :) Might be a while before the next one as well, school is taking up all my time at the moment but I kind of know what I want to happen for the next few phases of Regina's journey with Roland, and how she and Robin meet again (I'm so sorry he hasn't been in these last few chapters! Continuity of viewpoint...I have my headcanon though and it will be explained. Eventually). I'm just not entirely sure how I want the whole thing to end. Anyway, hope you enjoy, and thank you for all the lovely comments!! I love you all <3

Just over two weeks since they'd left port, everyone was woken by a loud bell and shouting.

"All hands on deck!"

Regina sat up in bed. The ship was definitely rolling more, and the wind whistled past the window that she'd left open for ventilation. Swinging her feet out of the bunk she wrestled with the casement, finally managing to slam it shut against the elements.

"Gina!"

"It's all right, Roland. There's a storm coming, but you'll be quite safe." He whimpered and buried his head in her chest.

The door flew open then and John's silhouette could be seen in the flickering lamplight.

"Miss, captain's orders you're to stay here with your son."

"Is everything all right?" she yelled above the wind.

"It's a squall, but should be over by morning!" He wrenched the door shut and ran off, leaving Regina to the prospect of yet another sleepless night.

It wasn't over by morning. It wasn't over by the next night. Rations didn't come, which in a way was a blessing because once they'd both emptied their stomachs they could lie in bed and keep each other warm without having to constantly reach for the bucket. Her blankets were piled on top of his bunk, and she told him stories to get him to sleep. But they were both very thirsty and hungry by the time John finally came to the door the next morning with half a tankard of small beer.

"I'm afraid that's it - we took on a lot of water and one of the beer barrels is leaking."

"What about food?"

"There's only biscuits, I'm afraid," he drew a couple of the hard tack biscuits out of his pocket, "meat's reserved for sailors while the storm lasts. The boy won't need much and you're not doing anything, they said when I tried to reason with them. I'm sorry."

"It's all right. We'll survive, won't we, Roland?" He didn't look up - he was terrified out of his wits.

"SMITH!"

"I've got to go. I'll bring more food when our rations are doled out."

"Good luck."

"We're going to need it. Three men on rotation at the bilge pump right now means we're three men down on deck. We'll need all the luck we can get." And with that, he ran off, not quite shutting the door in his haste. Regina had to fling herself across the room and wrestle it shut before it did damage to her bow, which was standing behind it.

"It's ok, Roland," she soothed as she curled up with him again.

"Are we going to sink?"

"No, we are not going to sink. The sailors know what they're doing and they will get us out of this." She was saying it to convince herself as well as him. "We will be absolutely fine."

"Gina?"

"Yes, dear?"

"Do you have my stone?"