Chapter 19

Robin's chest wound was now completely healed over, and though some of the skin was still the distinct yellowish of old bruising he was up and walking about, making up for lost time with Roland while Regina spent more time in John's room. He was now awake, leg doing well, but he was tired and couldn't hold conversation for long. She read to him a lot, steering clear of stories with ships or pirates in them and focussing on the happy endings. She'd learned positivity can do amazing things, and had resolved to try and put that in practice more often. It was still difficult though, what with Wanted posters up all over the place and Celia still sneaking around.

She and Belle continued to plan various routes in the few half-hours they both had spare, often one leaving notes for the other to check over then consolidating them in long late-night sessions, sometimes running through to morning. Those were the days Regina invariably dozed off when Roland was showing her something or trying to read to her. Not that she found him boring, at all, but she had never been good at running on no sleep.

"She's fallen asleep again." The huffy voice sounded like it came from a distance. "She's bored of me."

"No she is not. She's tired." The voice dropped so low her fuzzy mind could no longer hear it but she knew the gist of what Robin was telling his son.

"Now come on, read to me and let her be." Regina's lips curved up involuntarily as she let the blanket of sleep draw her fully under.

She woke briefly, and far from fully, as she felt herself leave the cushiness of the chair and be carried towards the bed, the firm mattress welcoming her into its embrace as the cover was pulled up to her chin and a soft kiss pressed to her forehead before she went under again.

***

"Good morning," Robin greeted her with a smile. Regina grinned and stretched, feeling invigorated. "You look much better than you did yesterday."

"I think all I needed was a good sleep." Robin got up from the small table in the corner where they'd started having their meals and folded her into his arms. His warmth made her feel safe and secure, but even that security scared her.

"You, darling, have been working far too hard to try and get us to safety. And I really appreciate that, I do, and I would help if I knew where you were disappearing to, but you need to take care of yourself." When had he started calling her by endearments?

She placed her hands on his chest and pushed him away slightly. Being the gentleman he stepped back immediately but his face betrayed his confusion.

"We need to talk about that, Robin. On our own."

"This evening, when Roland's asleep," he promised.

***

Roland was particularly energetic that day, but by dinnertime he'd bounced himself out of puff so fell asleep promptly afterwards. Robin picked him up and they tucked him into his bed, closing the door between the rooms so they had some privacy. Robin sat in the straighter-backed chair, despite Regina's adamantly insisting he take the easy-chair, and pulled it closer to her.

"Now. I promised we will talk about escaping and we will, but first I want to talk about us."

"Us?" The word made Regina's heart leap and her throat thicken, and she swallowed nervously as Robin continued.

"Where we stand with each other. I mean, you leave, which is entirely fair enough and I don't doubt your reasons for doing so, but then Roland follows you. You could easily have tossed him aside, dropped him off at the nearest port and gone on with your journey and your life. You didn't. From what I gather, and what he's told me, you cared for him, protected him, never let him out of your sight if it meant the possibility of him getting hurt was increased. You pushed aside whatever danger there might be to you by staying in this land and made it your goal to get him back to me."