Chapter 18

A/N: And rather more by luck than judgement, the chapter published on New Year's Day is set on New Year's Day. To start with, anyway. Happy New Year everyone :)

Regina woke the next morning curled up in Robin's lap, his arm round her waist and her head on his shoulder. Leaning up she pressed a kiss to his cheek, grateful he still had feelings for her but trying to shove down the insecurities that still welled up. She could have very happily stayed there for hours but there was a large possibility of Celia walking in and spreading rumours like wildfire, so she tore herself away. His arm fell from her waist and brushed her hip as it fell into his lap, sending an involuntary shiver up her back.

Roland was just waking when she lifted him into her arms, and he mumbled something into her ear that she didn't quite catch before his eyelids dropped again. Carrying him through the connecting door she was faced with Belle and a breakfast tray.

"Happy New Year, Rebecca. Did you...spend the night in there?"

"We wanted Robin to have some company so we had supper together, then Roland fell asleep and I didn't have the heart to move him," she explained as she laid the boy down on the bed. A funny look passed over the princess' face.

"You're in love with him."

"How did you...?" Regina asked before she could stop herself.

"I can see it in your eyes. And his. He's in love with you." She sighed out the last sentence and Regina smiled as the hopeless romantic shone through. "And you spent the night together..."

"Nothing happened, I assure you!" Regina could feel herself blushing.

"I know that! He's too honourable, and so are you. But I did hear him calling out for a 'Regina' while he was feverish. The name is so similar to yours that I can't help but wonder..."

Regina immediately stepped forward and covered Belle's mouth with her hand.

"Don't you dare tell anyone, ok? I'm wanted by King Leopold," she hissed into her ear. "The reward is unspecified, that probably means my hand in marriage to whoever brings me back." She held up the poster. "And Robin is wanted for helping me. So if you tell anyone, I swear, I'll..." Her argument faded out, and she stepped back awkwardly. She had no idea what to threaten her with, and even if she did, no power with which to make it seem plausible.

"Wait a moment. I thought you were already married?" Regina wanted the floor to swallow her whole. She thought she'd been doing so well and now she'd accidentally blown her cover. Again. She was no good at this living in secrecy.

"No. That was a cover story in order to protect Roland, who is Robin's son. His mother's dead."

"I understand," stammered the frightened girl. Regina felt awful.

"I am so sorry, Belle... I'm just so sick of people using me for their own gain."

"It's ok. I promise not to tell anyone. But, can I just ask, are you going to run away together? Get married?"

"I don't know," she replied honestly, hopes she'd dared not entertain sneaking back into her mind.

"But you do want to, right? If you love him you must get married!"

"Oh, Belle. It's not that simple. Life isn't a fairy story. Not all the evil queens are defeated and not all princesses get their happy endings. One day you'll understand. And even if we did run, where would we go? Leopold is probably looking for me everywhere. As far as I know he's got all the neighbouring kingdoms and nearby islands on the lookout."

"I'll scout around for you. You deserve your happy ending. He might have the biggest kingdom in terms of size but he's really no more powerful than all the other kings in this land." Her voice rose to its normal level and took on a more business-like tone. "Your brother is doing well, the infection has gone down a lot and so has his fever. You can see him today if you want."