Chapter 1- A Question in the Night

It was a typical day for Marian. She sat on a tree branch in a forest just outside Vanya. In her hands were a pile of gems and coins she had "borrowed".

She put the items in a bag at her waist as footsteps sounded through the forest. Voices of men echoed to her ears and she knew she had to leave. She gathered up her cloak around her and jumped to another tree. She swiftly made her way along before she was found. She could see the outlines of a house at the edge of a forest. 'Strange.. that wasn't here a few days ago...' she thought as she made her way towards it. It was a good place to hide out until The heat died down, regardless if it appeared out of no where.

She found an open window and peered in. There were tables and chairs laid around the room and bar was at the far end. She could see a storage room behind the bar, which was perfect for her purposes. She quietly slid in through the open window and made her way to the back room. She could hear the men getting louder- she was running out of time!

She hid behind a crate in the back just as someone knocked on the door. Her small stature made it almost impossible to see her behind the large crate, and even harder to identify her under her to-large cloak.

A kid, about her height, walked down a flight of stairs she hadn't noticed. He had blond hair and wore a uniform which she presumed was for the tavern. "Can I help you?" He asked the gentlemen at the front door. One had a helmet over his head, which he took off to reveal a girl. She had short brown hair, which fit perfectly under her helmet.

"We're looking for a girl. She's a wanted criminal and we saw her come by here. Have you seen here?" She asked, holding her helmet under her arm.

"Nope." He said simply.

"Are you sure?" She asked, clearly eager.

"I'm pretty sure. What does she look like?" He asked.

"Long silver hair, blue eyes, and a black cloak. Just like on her wanted poster." She said, holding up a paper. On it was an almost exact replica of Marian's face, under it written 'The She Demon'.

"That's an interesting name..." the boy said.

"Yes, I know. The people named her that because she came after Hendrickson, who was a demon." She explained as she rolled up the paper. "So have you seen her?" She urged.

"No, can't say I have." He said. "Good day!" He said as he closed the door.

"Good day.." She replied before it was shut. The boy started to walk up the stairs as they marched away.

Marian got up from her spot behind the crate and crept towards him as he walked up the stairs. "Don't move" she said once she was close enough to him. She had a dagger at the back of his neck, ready to stab him if need be.

The boy slowly raised his hands to the side of his head, away from the sword strapped on his back. "Can I turn around..?" He asked as he started to turn his head.

"You won't be lying when you say you haven't seen me~"

"Hm.. alright. I'm guessing you're the She Demon?"

"That's what they call me. But let's get down to business. I need any valuables you got, k?~" she demanded.

"Not so fast, sweet cheeks." Someone said from behind her. Her arm holding the dagger was suddenly pulled towards the person, forcing her away from the boy. The source of the voice was a man with spiky light blue hair and a red jacket that was clearly to small for him. Her dagger was being pulled away from her, and she eventually let go of it. It flew towards the man and stuck into his arm. She gave a triumphant grin as she watched the man bleed.