Chapter 4 Commander Vye

I say nothing. What can I say to the woman—it has to be her—who is now my new commanding officer and mentor? I am late: the one thing I tried to avoid.

"Well?" demands the woman.

"What do you want me to say?" The words are out of my mouth before I realize that I have said them. This is not the time for a sarcastic response, but my pride, and mouth, gets me into trouble more often than not.

"Is that an attitude you are giving me?" The woman arches an eyebrow.

"No, commander," I reply. "I save my bad attitude for when I am in a foul mood." I bite my tongue. What is it with me today? This is the day, of all days, that I am supposed to make a good impression and demonstrate that I am the perfect recruit, willing to follow orders, and in control of my emotions, yet, here I am talking back to my commanding officer as though I am her equal.

I brace myself for her punishment. As my superior, she has the authority to punish me should I step out of line, and my rude remarks fall into the category of being way out of line. To my surprise, she steps aside and allows me through the door, which slides shut, releasing a soft thud as it seals.

The entranceway matches the dilapidated state of the exterior of the building with paint chips on the floor, that a plebeian girl tries in vain to sweep up. Dulled paint, that must have been a bright white at one point, has yellowed and in the fluorescent lights it looks like urine—smells like it too. The faded green rug cushions my boots, as I walk farther into the hallway, taking quick side glances into the two rooms it veers into.

"What makes you think that I am the commander?" asks the woman, her voice sharp and tight.

I turn back around and face her. Is this a test? "Who else would you be?"

"I could just as easily be one of the other arbiters that is stationed here."

"Unlikely," I reply.

The woman glares at me.

"Ma'am," I add as an afterthought. What is it with me today? I never would have spoken with such disrespect to Molers, but I also know that Molers would kill me if I did. The woman continues to stare at me and I realize that she wants me to explain how I came to my conclusions.

"You answered the door before I had a chance to ring the bell, so you were obviously waiting for me," I begin, "and the only reason you would have to await my arrival is if you are the one whom I am to report to. No other arbiter here would care if I was late or not because I am not their responsibility. You speak with authority, with the demeanor of one used to issuing orders and getting her way, and your demand to know why I am late without asking directly, means that you expect me to offer an explanation for my tardiness and beg for forgiveness."

"Very astute."

The lighter tone in her voice tells me that I have pleased her, or passed some sort of test. I do not care which, just so long as she does not punish me for my rudeness earlier.

"I am Commander Vye. You were to be here thirty seconds ago." She taps the band on her wrist, which is similar to my own. Every citizen of Arel gets one. Not only is it an identification band, but it also serves as a timepiece and by the way she is holding hers, I can tell that she was timing me, counting down the seconds until I was scheduled to arrive. "You will address me as Commander or ma'am. Formality will be maintained here. There are seventy-five other arbiters in this house, and four other arbiter houses in the eastern sector with the same number, all which report to me."

We walk through the hall, stepping over the pile of paint chips that have just been swept up, scattering them across the floor again and I notice that the plebeian's face scrunches up in irritation, but she refuses to say anything. I give her no more than a passing glance. Her kind are everywhere and it is their duty and privilege to serve us.