Chapter 23 An Enemy Formed

The transport bounces along the pothole-ridden road—its right rear wheel hits one square on, causing the back to jump up and me to strike my head on the roof of the vehicle—toward the giant gates that allow entrance through the wall and into Arel. My... my city. Elation at seeing my home eludes me, running away and hiding as though ashamed of being associated with such a place. Where is the pride I had once felt? Why do I feel so... empty?

I glance at Chase, who sits in the back seat with me, but his gaze remains straight ahead, focused on anything, or anyone, but me. We had spent an additional three weeks at the outpost; and in all that time, he had never spoken to me. My mind still wonders why he lied about what had happened in the wildlands. He had the opportunity to embellish his role in saving my life, to advance his status and prove his worth, but he chose not to. I realize that I have been staring at him for the last several moments and jerk my gaze away, passing over Commander Vye, who had turned in her seat in the front and watched me. We lock eyes for a moment before I turn back to the window, watching as the scant amount of brush disappears and the road widens the closer we get to the gate.

I move my leg a little, glad to have the brace off. After the extended stay at the outpost, and the excellent care provided by their doctor, my broken leg healed quite well and faster than anyone thought possible. My station as an arbiter, and the fact that my age meant I had an excellent chance of healing quicker than most, and with little to no lasting side effects, made me the doctor's number one priority, though a part of me wonders if Commander Vye had a little something to do with all the extra medical attention as well. Her behavior toward me seemed changed, different outside the wall than before we left.

Grinding and creaking fill the air, drowning the roar of the transport as it plods along and I look ahead. The black gates, dulled from the constant sand, wind, and rain, creep open, allowing one to see inside the city. Guards in their towers turn their attention on us, aiming their weapons, poised and ready to strike should we prove to be a deception, should we prove to be the enemy. As the transports pull in and nothing happens, their rigid stance relaxes just a little, but behind their helmets, I know that they watch us, waiting, and ready.

I prepare to get out, thinking that the vehicles will stop, but they do not. Hoping that no one noticed my mistake, I nestle back in my seat and watch as the leaning buildings of the eastern sector pass by us. People scurry out of our way. Plebeians walk behind their masters, but even their masters do not dare look at us, choosing to avert their eyes instead. I am taken back to my first day within this region as I hurried to report for duty, remembering all the people who refused to look at me, hastening away instead, hoping that I did not notice them. Again, the same question I had thought about that day enters my mind: why are arbiters feared? We guard the citizens of Arel. We defend them from outside invasion. We protect them from uprisings. Yet, all I ever see in their faces is fear or anger.

Long shadows pass over us as we make our way through the bouncing streets that feel as though they have not been repaired in over five years. One of the rear wheels finds another pothole, and I clutch my stomach as it is jarred from its peace. The silence within the vehicle ebbs at my nerves, broken only by the roar of the transport's engine as it climbs the small hill to the manor, and I look up, staring through the windshield at the building that grows as we approach. Elation at seeing my home eludes me for the second time today, and I am left with a hollow pit in my stomach.

We pull onto the driveway that leads up to the front door and the vehicles stop. Not waiting to be told to get out, I open my door, grab my duffel bag, and place my boots on the pavement, relishing the warmth of the sun as it covers my face. Commander Vye strolls to the front of the vehicle, while Chase hurries inside, no doubt to get a head start on his chores for the day and to make up for the ones he missed while gone. He never glances in my direction and a part of me is hurt by it, a puzzle that plagues me as I try to understand why.