Chapter 28 Black Fire

I zip up my jacket, preparing to leave for the wall, as I listen to the clinking of forks on plates, wishing that I could eat before reporting for duty, but succumb to the idea of not having supper. I will just have to eat a huge breakfast tomorrow.

"Ready?" says Trix as she walks up to me. We are assigned to the wall tonight.

"You're late," I say to her, repeating the first words that Commander Vye had said to me, staring past her and at Chase—pleased that he had made it back to the manor when we had gotten separated after sneaking out four nights ago—who gives me a nod as he pulls Gwen into view, letting me know of her recovery. The only comfort I can give him is a slight smile in return.

The door slides open as I step outside into the orange glow of the evening sun, the hairs on my skin standing up from the goosebumps that form due to the chilled air, informing me of the change in the season. Has it been almost eight months since I have first reported here? The weather says it has. Soon, recruits will run the gauntlet and new arbiters will be brought to the manor. Trix's hurried footsteps tap the pavement behind me, but I do not pause and continue down the drive to the street, remembering what Sheila had told me about her.

Once we reach the wall, we both head for the room where the body armor and weapons are kept, scanning our wristbands. The side of a wall opens, revealing a plethora of armaments for us to choose from. "At least we'll be well-dressed," Trix jokes, snatching a helmet.

Ignoring her, I take off my jacket, placing it in a locker, and grab a Kevlar vest, strapping it on and securing it so that it fits snug, before putting on arm and leg guards.

"You don't like me, do you?" Trix says to me when I pick up a helmet.

"I have no reason to," I say, remaining cold toward her.

"You have no reason to hate me," she says.

"I dislike your tastes in extracurricular activities," I say, facing her, holding my helmet by my side, "which gives me no reason to like you."

Trix laughs. "I had a feeling you knew. I saw the way you glared at me when you caught me with that plebeian girl that one day. And the way you stopped the Master Arbiter from harming her, I would have sworn it was because you wanted her for yourself."

"My tastes are more mature."

"I like mine young and innocent—fresh, if you will." She saunters up to me, swaying her hips in a suggestive manner, until I am backed against a wall with her breasts pressed against mine. "And I love it when they are unable to fight."

"You disgust me."

Trix releases a sultry laugh as she holds my gaze. "Maybe you should let me change that opinion of yours. I could be persuaded to like someone older and more mature, as you put it."

I shove her aside and head for the exit.

"I will have that little bitch when we get back."

I stop, whirling around, doing my best to control my desire to plant my fist into her face.

"And when I get done with her, she'll just be another poor plebeian who passed in the night, unable to handle the harshness of her duties."

I start for her, but another arbiter storms inside. "You two! What is taking so long?"

"Nothing, sir," Trix and I both respond.

He gives us a disbelieving look, but continues with the reason for his presence. "Arbiter Trix, you will be in the center of the wall by the main tower. Arbiter Noni, you'll be on the south side of the wall at station six." The man leaves.