Chapter 7 Doctor Sahir

A month has passed since my embarrassment and punishment. After having trained to earn the trust of Arel as one of its protectors, I must now earn their trust again, and that of Commander Vye. I cannot fail again.

My feet fly over the grass as I run across the quad in the manor, heading for the hanging tires and bars, pushing myself to stay strong as I navigate the obstacle course that has been set up for the arbiters that live here. I leap into the air and dive through the lowest hanging tire, somersaulting on the damp grass before springing to my feet and jumping on the second tire. It shifts under my momentum, but I hang on, allowing it to propel me towards the third tire, which hangs high above the ground. I leap for it. My hands grasp the bottom of the tire and I pull myself upward to the rope that connects it to the bar above it as it swings back and forth, threatening to throw me off. It nears the first rung of the monkey bars.

I watch as the metal rung approaches, before being pulled away from it by the tire I am situated on. Since my arrival, I have watched as some of the other arbiters have tried to pass the course and failed. If I fall, I will break a leg, or worse. Yesterday, one of the arbiters tried to leap to the monkey bars, much like I am attempting to do, but he missed and fell to the ground, unable to move his arms or legs.

Commander Vye did the only merciful thing she could: she shot him in the head, saying, "If you are unable to move, you are unable to serve Arel. I would expect any of you to do the same to me."

I stare at the bar as it nears and drifts away, steeling my nerves and preparing myself for what I must do, glad that I had decided to wear my leather gloves. The tire swings me towards the metal rung. Just before it moves away, I jump off, stretching my hands out to the bar, and grab it, my feet swinging in the air as my breath catches in my chest. Focusing on the bars ahead of me, I reach for the second rung, and the third, hurrying across the monkey bars, grabbing the next one just as my hand threatens to let go of the previous rung. I reach the end and swing my feet forward, wrapping my legs around the pole that is there and slide down it to the ground, landing on my feet.

"Congratulations."

I spin around. Commander Vye stands behind me—I never heard or saw her on the quad—her arms crossed and her piercing gaze burning right through me.

"I am glad to see your commitment to staying physically fit."

"Commander," I say in a respectful tone.

"And I suppose I am glad that you did not break your neck like the last man who tried this course. It would have been such a waste if you had. Arbiters are not easy to train."

"Thank you, commander."

"Get dressed and meet me at the gate in ten minutes."

I salute her and run off to my room to grab my proper uniform, as it would be improper for me to enter the city in my undershirt, and against regulation.

When I reach the gate, Commander Vye waits for me, her hands clasped behind her back and her sharp gaze informs me that she had been counting every second as she waited. Afraid that I might have been tardy, I quicken my pace, stopping just as I reach her. She stalks through the gate and I trail behind her as we hurry down the walk and to one of the moving walkways. As usual, people keep their distance from us, taking extra care to avoid being in our path, and I notice that it is not only the plebeians who avert their eyes.

Curiosity burns within me as my mind wonders about our destination, hoping that it will not be unpleasant like the last time I had been escorted through Arel, but I keep my mouth shut, not wanting to anger my commanding officer. After 30 minutes of weaving through crowds and navigating the moving walkways, we arrive at a white building with pillars in the front and the insignia for the hospice: a staff with a snake wrapped around it.