Chapter 12 The Factory

Renal and I follow Commander Vye as we march down the road, it's pavement cracked and crumbling away in certain areas, to the gated entrance where five arbiters stand guard with their weapons raised and ready to shoot us, should we prove to be there for unsavory purposes.

"Stop!" yells one of the guards.

We all come to attention.

"State your name and purpose here," demands the guard and his confrontational demeanor toward Commander Vye surprises me. Shouldn't he be saluting her?

"Commander Vye. Serial number V21923. I am showing Arbiter Noni one of our factories so that she can better perform her duties. She is the newest arbiter to the eastern sector."

Renal steps forward. "Lieutenant Renal. Serial number R26389. I am here in accordance with regulations that two senior arbiters must be present when a newly commissioned arbiter visits a manufacturing plant for the first time."

The guard turns to me and I realize that I also need to give my name and serial number. "Arbiter Noni. Serial number N27461."

The guard looks at the holographic images floating above his arm, emanating from his own wristband, confirming our identities, before switching it off and motioning for us to proceed while the gate opens.

"Mind you. You will be under watch during your entire visit here. Any questionable actions on your part will result in you being shot. Understood?"

"Yes, sir," we all say in unison.

We pass through the barbed wire encased gate and I move my eyes, taking in the fence that spreads away from it, encircling the manufacturing plant, wondering what sort of factory this is that would require it to have such heightened security. Rungs of metal are latticed together, forming tight, impenetrable bonds that allow nothing through, except for the small holes, just large enough for the barrel of a rifle, to fit through undetected. Interspersed at even intervals are more guards dressed in full gear and the visors of their helmets pulled down, patrolling their assigned area, each watching us, waiting to see if we intend to cause trouble.

"Keep your eyes forward," warns Commander Vye as we hurry down the curved road to the main building, our boots making soft thumps as we went, adding to the foreboding nature of this place.

"Permission to speak, ma'am?" I ask her.

Commander Vye nods, giving me her permission.

"Why did they not salute you at the gate? Are you not the head arbiter of this sector?"

"I am, but the factories are run differently. They do not answer to the head arbiter of the sector. Each factory answers to the Arelian Council or our presidents. They are independent from our authority."

This is news to me. Never in my training were the recruits ever informed that the manufacturing plants are beholden to the council alone.

"Each arbiter here is hand-picked," Renal says, "having undergone the strictest of security measures. They will kill us if we step out of line."

For the first time, I notice the red dot on his back. Slowing my pace just a little, I spot a similar red dot on Commander Vye's back. Scolding myself for not realizing that snipers watch us, I match Renal's and Commander Vye's pace again, knowing that a third red dot is pasted to my back. I look up, without turning my head, and notice a small round shape along the roof of the building we head for, a shape that does not seem to belong, but can be missed by any with an untrained eye. More snipers line the wall that surrounds us, and the more guards I spot, the more curious I become about what is being produced. Not all factories are under such heavy protection.