Chapter 24

Gwendolyn

"Yes Mom, I am coming to Christmas dinner." I held the phone to my ear. "You know I always do."

"I just wanted to make sure you're not spending it with that new boyfriend of yours that you have yet to tell us about." She said.

I mentally slapped myself for telling Evelyn. "He's not my boyfriend. It's complicated. I'll  explain it to you later."

"Wait! I have some good news." She said.

"What happened?" I asked.

Xavier came around the corner looking at his watch. "We're going to be late."

I grabbed my purse.

"So I finally got around to taking Lavender to one of those 'help the unhearing' conventions." She said.  "And when they tested her, she's actually not as deaf as we all thought."

"Ok. Then what?" I asked knowing she wasn't finished.

"The guy said that if she got ultra-hearing aids in the future she might be able to hear like me and you." She said excitedly.

I felt like jumping up and down. "Does she know?"

"No, but your father and I decided to give the news to her at Christmas Dinner." She said.

"Mom it's not even December yet." I followed Xavier out of the house.

"Another few days." She said and hung up the phone.

When we actually got to work Xavier escorted me to my office per usual and left me with instructions to categorize some random business dealings.

Despite there being thirty-seven different folders and over 60 papers to retype and put into folders I finished pretty quickly.

I ate a sandwich that I had made for myself and contemplated my life.

Should I really be considering sex and relashonship with a guy I hardly know anything about?

Maybe I could get to know Xavier some time.

Should I have waited until I knew him a bit more until I willingly went to live with him.

Nope. The Italian mafia has guns. I'm not staying there so they can come and shoot me and Chase in our sleep.

Who was that lady?

"What are you doing?" Evelyn waved her hand in front of my face.

I smacked her hands away. "What do you want?"

"Are you ready for today?" She crossed her arms. "I have the perfect dress for you."

"What's happening today?" I asked.

"We're going out. Remember?" She said.

"That's today?!" I said. "Oh my bad."

"Whatever." She said. "You're still coming though."

"Um I guess so." I said and she nodded satisfied with my answer.

Xavier entered my office and stood by the door once again, cueing Evelyn to leave.

She left after wiggling her eyebrows at me and saying be ready at 8 o'clock.

Xavier sat on one of the couches and I did not move to join him. "I've got a question."

"Mm hm." I spun lazily in my chair.

"What is something that you like?" He asked and I almost fell out of the chair.

I stopped spinning and folded my hands on my desk. "I like food."

He chuckled. "I want you to attend a banquet with me. More so a Christmas party. Will you come?"

"Will there be food?" I countered.

"There will be new business opportunities." He said in response.

"But will there be food." I asked again.

He laughed again. "Yes Gwendolyn, there will be food."

"Then I'm already there." I said.

*****

"Evelyn this dress is amazing but it's so tight." I complained.

The dress was a deep red and had a v-neck collar. As if the collar wasn't a big problem already it also features a slit that goes from my thigh to just below my hip.

Though I do have to admit it does accinuate my curves, my mother would be ashamed to see me in this dress. Hell, she hated the dress I wore to prom and the thing dragged on the floor behind me.

"It's pretty though." Evelyn said and zipped up the dress. "We'll have fun."

She herself was dress in a long-sleeved navy blue dress with lace on the shoulders. Because Leo flipped out over the dress she was going to wear before.

"Ok let's just get this over with." I said and she picked up her car keys.

Once we were in the car she put the radio on full blast, singing along to some catchy song.

When we got to the club of her choice I made sure to set an alarm on her phone for 12 o'clock and tell her that I would be at the bar the whole time.

As soon as I sat down the bartender offered me a complimentary drink and cupcake.

"Thank you." I said.

Now I had something to do other than be on my phone the whole night.

After my first magurita the cup seems to refill itself. I never see the bartender refill it.

After what may be my eighth one the music cuts off and a vociferous man shouts into the microphone. "As appreacition for you all coming out tonight we've planned a little surprise. Mostly for the guys in here tonight."

A heat began to crawl through my body but I thought it was the alcohol until he explained some things.

"Tonight we've had bartenders pass out special cupcakes to most of the ladies here tonight." He said and wiggled his eyebrows. "A special thank you for all those couples out there. Have a good night!" Then the music was back.

Crap. I'd been drugged. No wonder I had the sudden urge to jump the bartender's bones instead of breaking them.

"So did you come here with anybody tonight?" He asked and gave me a slight smile.

"Yes she did." A deep voice said and my legs started to twitch.

*****

Please forgive me!
I'm sorry for not updating for like 3 days but I started this good ass book and literally could not stop reading it.

I might do another update today but those who proceeded to read this book after 'Tears Like Rain'know I don't follow schedules.

Word of the update:

Life.

A: unfair.

Leah💋💋💋💋💋💋💋