Chapter 48

Video: All day Mama by Chaz Smith.

Gwendolyn

I chose to abide by Xavier's demand and avoided any contact with Gerald in general.

It wasn't hard to do considering I normally don't walk around the office.

I spun around in my swivel chair again. Boredom.

Xavier didn't want me to attend his meetings anymore because of the looks some of the other people were giving me.

Then again there's also the fact that I called them sexist.

I wanted to leave but he insisted I stay where he could get to me quickly in case of an emergency.

I felt a sudden wave of fatigue, even though I've been going to sleep earlier now.

You would've thought Xavier had been standing outside my office because the moment I laid down on the couch he was looking down at me.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

"I'm tired." I yawned sleepily. "I wish nine months were over already."

"No you don't." He said. "I know I don't."

"Why?" I asked.

He sat next to me and put my legs across his lap. "I don't know actually. I just feel a sense of pride when I hold you like this."

I said nothing.

"Have they kicked you lately?" He asked.

"A few minutes ago when you asked me if I was ok." I said. "They probably wanted to know too. Since I'm their main food source."

"You'll be more tired after they're born." He pointed out. "But we'll go through it together."

His hand played with a loose strand of my hair. "I want all of our children to look just like you."

"Are you implying that there are going to be more?" I asked.

"No. I'm subtly telling you that I'm going to get you pregnant again." He said.

"Not soon right?" I questioned and he didn't respond. I kicked him. "Xavier!"

"Fine. I'll give you 5 years." He said.

I rolled my eyes and let it drop.

"Xavier be honest with me, what if I'm no good at being a mom?" I asked carefully.

"Gwendolyn there are only 4 components to being a good Mother. Number 1. I don't know if you noticed but I probably would have died of dust inhalation before you came along and swept out places I didn't even know existed." He said. "Number 2. My Mom told me that the best way to a man's heart is through his stomach. I haven't been so happy to ask 'What's for dinner?' in years."

I laughed. My food's not that good.

"Number 3. The day you defended your sister. You displayed Confidence, pride and compassion. Your love for her fueled your anger." He said.

"He deserved it." I said.

"Maybe he did. Number 4 is simply that I love you and I am confident that you will be the best Mother that they can have." He said and I smiled in response.

"I'm the only Mother they can have." I said.

"I wish I hadn't gotten you mixed up in my problems." He said. "Maybe then we could've had a normal life."

I grabbed his hand. "We will have a normal life after this. You promised me a ring."

He chuckled. "I did promise you."

*****

Unknown

"So let's review."

"He sets something on fire." I pointed to Gerald. "Greg stays behind the house waiting in the van. We gas the house, sedate the captives and make our get away."

"Perfect. Did you want a sticker?" Gerald rolled his eyes.

"Gerald let's not be sour towards our comrades. You never know. Damien might be the one to put a bullet in your head after this."

"Whatever let's just do this shit tomorrow." He shrugged. "Less sedatives."

"Logical. But why would you want to rush? This is suicide for you." He asked.

"You've taken away the only thing I had left to live for. Like I give a damn if I live or die anyway." He said.

Which is true. He'd agreed to do Marquis's dirty work on one condition.

"I'm with Gerald with this one." I said.

"Then it's settled. I expect then both in my office at about 6:00 tomorrow afternoon." He said. "Should wear off by then."

******

Damn. It's been a while. But then I started getting more followers and more reads. Y'all was like "Fam when you gone put out the new update?" And I was like. "I got you bruh!" So here I am.

Please don't be mad.

Writing this is helping me fight off depression. So a big thank you to all my readers and followers.

Which is why I didn't update. I wanted this one to be powerful. Unfortunately it isn't so I'll do better with the next update.

Leah💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋