Chapter 70

Video: Old people get crazy when they realize no one can fact check them anymore by Alphaxalfa.

Gwendolyn

The room was almost completely empty, except for Xavier's bed.

The monitor beside him beeped loudly. At least it was beeping.

Xavier was sitting up slightly with his hands at his sides, his eyes closed.

I sat the carseats on the end of his bed and held his hand. He wouldn't sleep that long, that's certain.

He stirred in his sleep when I brushed his hair out of his face.

He squeezed my hand. "You're late."

"I didn't know I had a specific time to be here." I said.

He scoffed and tried to sit up.

"Xavier you should rest." I said.

"And miss more time with my wife and kids? I'd rather not." He gave me a sly smile. "I heard what you said to that guy."

It took me a few seconds to realize what he was talking about. "Xavier it is not polite to eavesdrop."

"It was a matter of life or death." He said, pulling me closer.

He kissed me again and it seemed more passion-filled. I pulled away before my body could give in. "Xavier, we can't do that in a hospital."

"Why not ?" He asked. "Are you embarrased?"

"What? No."

"Then I don't see the problem." He captured my lips again.

"Xavier somebody might see." I pushed him away again.

"I don't care." He said.

"Our kids are watching." I said.

"This is how they were created anyway. They'd have to learn to sooner or later." He said.

That caught me off guard, enough for him to wrap his arms around me and pull me onto the bed beside him.

"Xavier!" I struggled but his grip tightened.

"Stop misbehaving. You'll set a bad example." He buried his face in my hair and the heart rate monitor sped up.

"Xavier, we have to talk." I said.

"I'm listening." He said.

"Be serious for a second." I said.

He looked at me.

"Ok." I said. "Xavier I used to be a stripper. I know now is probably not the best time to tell you but I feel like if I don't tell you now, you'll find out another way."

I started to go on and on about Felipe and the whole tragic back story.

"And come to thi-" He interrupted me, pressing his lips to mine.

I allowed myself to become immersed in this kiss for a second before pulling away. "Were you even listening to me?"

"Yes and it doesn't change the way I see you. That and the fact that I knew already." He said.

"Xavier." I scolded him. "How could you possibly know?"

"It wasn't hard to figure out." He said. "For one, the sex was amazing."

I blushed. "Xavier there are children present."

"They're sleeping." He said pulling me closer.

Someone knocked on the door. "I'm here to see Gwendolyn Chambers."

I smacked Xavier's hands away as the door opened.

A woman bustled into the room. "Let's make this quick. Let me see the wound."

I showed her my arm and she immediately got to work. After cleaning and dressing the wound she rounded the bed to check Xavier's monitor.

"I think you'll be just fine if I cut this off." she said. "The system has been going haywire. I wonder why?"

She looked at me over her glasses and then Xavier, before gathering her supplies and leaving.

Now that Xavier didn't have an IV in his arm anymore he pulled me closer.

"What are you thinking about?" He said, kissing my neck slightly.

"Why you won't stop pestering me." I said.

"I haven't seen you. I missed you." He said. "I love you."

I softened. "I love you too."

"Then stop worrying and kiss me already." He sighed.

He pulled me into another kiss and this time I didn't have a problem with it.

He pulled away this time. "I love you."

"I love you." I smiled.

"Could you suck it up and propose already?" Everett said, yawning.

"Fuck you, Everett." I said over my shoulder.

"I hate your brother." Xavier said.

"I know. I've been waiting for his head to explode from how big his ego is." I said.

"I'm still here." Everett said.

"We know." Xavier said.

Everyone laughed, except Everett.

"Welcome back Gwendolyn." Evelyn said.

*******

Y'all already know this book doesn't have many chapters left to go. One thing I will always do is wrap it up before 100. Because I don't want y'all to get tired of me. And cause I gotta save space for my next two books. You guessed it: Everett and Lavender will be having their own books. Woo-hoo.

Leah💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋💋