Chapter FIVE

“Heeyyyy,” Shaun called as he walked towards Nick and I and slung his arm around my shoulders. He smelt suspiciously of alcohol.

            “Dude, have you been drinking?” Nick voiced my thoughts and sent Shaun a look I didn’t understand.

            “No,” Shaun said witheringly and leered in closer to me. “Give us a kiss?”

            I winced. “Thanks, but I’d rather not have the experience of kissing you while you’re—”

            But apparently Drunk Shaun didn’t like being patient and interrupted me by pushing roughly against my mouth with his own. I made a sound of protest and tried to push him away. Shaun may have been hot but he did not taste very nice when he was as drunk as he was.

            Suddenly he disappeared completely so no part of him was touching me and I looked around to see that Nick had pulled him off me and was still holding on to one of his arms.

            “What the hell, dude?” he demanded and glared at Shaun.

            He held up his hands and shrugged. “Just a kiss.” Nick rolled his eyes and shoved Shaun away so he stumbled slightly.

            “Maybe you should go home,” Nick suggested.

            I agreed with him but for some reason I didn’t want to do as Nikolas Hamilton told me to.

            “I think we’ll be fine,” I said and took Shaun’s arm. He grinned and slid his hand into mine.

            “Can you even drive?” he asked Shaun but directed his eyes towards me.

            “Yeah,” Shaun insisted and grinned.

            “Um, I don’t think so,” I said and pulled away from him slightly but left my hand in his. I almost starred saying that my mum would never let me get in the car with a drunk driver but stopped myself.

            “I can drive,” Shaun insisted.

            “I don’t think so,” Nick said.

            “We’ll be ’right!” Shaun grabbed my arm and pulled me away from Nick and into the crowd.

            “Where are we going?” I yelled over the music at him.

            “Home!” he declared happily as we burst outside into the dark.

            We walked down the street towards his car as I desperately tried to think of a reason to not get in his car. What the hell was I supposed to say? What if Drunk Shaun reacted badly?

            But instead he solved my internal battle himself by going over passenger side and getting in.

            “What?” I muttered to myself and got into the drivers side.

            “Ohmygod! Lacey!” he exclaimed and looked at me with wide eyes. “Someone stole the steering wheel! Ohmygod! I can’t believe it! My dad’s gonna kill me!” He groped his hands over the dashboard as if he expected a steering wheel to appear out of it.

            “Actually, Shaun, the steering wheel’s here,” I said, trying not to laugh as I gripped the wheel in my hands.

            “Oh! Good! You can drive then!”

            “What? No! I don’t have my licence yet.”