4

I wandered around the party for a bit. Sarah and I had been friends since freshman year of high school, and halfway through the year she got her braces taken off, got a new haircut, and became a babe. Everyone knew Sarah was the prettiest girl in school, but it wasn't like she was just nice to look at. She was still my best friend because she was sweet and funny, and true to her character. That's why everyone loves her, and that's why there's tons of people here. Too bad I wasn't friends with any of them. I got a cup of punch and sat down on the empty couch. The combination of laughing, yelling, and loud music pounded my eardrums. It wasn't even good music, it was cheesy Top 40 songs that everyone knew the words to, well except me. I finished my cup and looked up to see Ryan standing in front of me.

"Hi..." He said awkwardly.

"Hey!" I smiled.

"Um happy birthday."

"Thank you! Take a seat!" I said patting the seat next to me. Brendon's friend was weird, but at least he was talking to me. He sat down next to me, I noticed his great posture.

"So are you enjoying the party?" I asked him.

"I guess so. The music is awful." He said scrunching up his nose.

"I agree." I said with a little laugh. He looked down at his hands nervously.

"So you took care of my brother?" I asked, trying to start a conversation.

"Yeah, as much as I could. He's a handful." He said turning to look at me. His eyes were a rich brown color, unlike the first time I saw them when they were coal black.

"I believe that. You must have been pretty young taking care of him."

"Haha well, I'm a bit older than I look."

"Brendon mentioned something that you guys stop aging at 21."

"Yeah, but we're not immortal. Just live a very very long time. Oldest recorded timespan has been 812 years." He said to me.

"Damn that's quite a long time. Thank you for letting him come visit." I said.

"I didn't really have a choice." He said with a small smile.

"Still. My birthday wish came true."

"Your birthday wish?" He asked.

"Yeah, earlier today I wished that Brendon was safe and that I'd see him again someday."

"That's sweet. I'm just worried." He said.

"About what?"

"Him getting comfortable here. We're not supposed to interact with humans. Especially the way he is right now." He said.

"Huh?" I asked confused.

"It's kind of crass." He said with a small smile.

"Tell me!" I begged, leaning closer to him.

"How do I put this... he's in heat." Ryan said. I wrinkled my nose and he laughed, making my heart jump a bit.

"Oh gross, I think he's been with my friend Sarah..." I said.

"We can't let that happen."

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because when vampires... you know... the male will inseminate the female."

"That's what condoms and birth control are for."

"Doesn't work, not against vampire uh swimmers. It happens no matter what." Ryan said, blushing.

"Okay yeah, we can't let that happen between them then." I nodded in agreement.

"And no offense, I don't see why he'd want to do that with a human anyway." He commented.

"You think humans are gross?" I asked.

"Well not gross, but it's complicated. Why try with someone you know you can't have a future with." He said.

"Sometimes you have to go around the block to see what's out there." I said shrugging. He gave me a face that he disagreed.

"Oh come on, you've never just hooked up with a girl just because?" I asked in total disbelief.

"No. I uh turned before I could... make moves." Ryan said rather embarrassed.

"But you've had vampire girlfriends, right?" I asked. Ryan was super weird, but he was good looking.

"Uh yeah... Hey isn't that your friend and Brendon making out?" Ryan said pointing. I looked to see Brendon and Sarah against the wall with their tongues in each other's mouths. Ryan and I got up from the couch and went over.

"Break it up!" Ryan said moving them apart.

"Hey! We're busy." Brendon snapped back.

"You know she's human." Ryan warned. Brendon whined and Ryan pulled him away to a different room. Sarah looked at me innocently as I sighed.

"If you don't want me near him... I understand." She said with a sad look. I tried to ignore her sadness but I felt bad.

"Ugh no it's fine, but you guys can't sleep together!" I told her. She pouted.

"Not just because he's my brother, but Ryan said that no matter what, he'll get you pregnant." I told her.

"Yikes, not ready for that. But if I could just kiss him a million more times that'd be okay." She said smiling, looking off in the direction to where the boys disappeared. I laughed and patted her on the shoulder. An hour later, I found myself alone again, but this time my back was against the wall as I just observed the drunk high schoolers in front of me. They all seemed like idiots and I was growing bored watching them dry hump each other. I started to head down the hall for somewhere more quiet.

"Hi!" I heard behind me. I turned around to see a frantic looking Ryan.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked him.

"I can't find your brother. Or Sarah." He said. I lead him down the hall to Sarah's room and knocked. I didn't hear anything so I opened the door.

"BRENDON!" Ryan yelled. Sarah was on her bed with Brendon on top of her. He was missing his shirt.

"Oh come on!" Brendon whined while Sarah blushed. Ryan grabbed him by the arm and started pulling him out of the room.

"We're leaving!" Ryan said angrily.

"Sarah! I'll miss you!" Brendon yelled, extending his arm out to her. She kept blushing and waved as Ryan pulled him down the hall and I assume out of the house. I looked at her and crossed my arms.

"Hey, I am completely clothed. That's not breaking any rules." She shrugged. I rolled my eyes and laughed.