7

It was the smell of bacon cooking in the morning that slowly woke me up. I opened my eyes slightly, and realized I fell asleep during the movie last night on Ryan's shoulder. I lifted my head off his shoulder and yawned.

"Good morning." I heard him say.

"Good morning. Sorry I fell asleep on you." I told him.

"It's okay. Brendon and Sarah are in the kitchen making you breakfast."

"Ugh good, it smells so amazing." I said getting up and stretching my arms above my head. We went into the kitchen to see Sarah flipping bacon and Brendon watching her while sipping on a juice box. Brendon went to the fridge and handed Ryan one.

"Is that...?" I started to ask.

"Oh yeah." Brendon nodded taking another sip. My stomach felt squeamish at the idea of them drinking blood, so I sat down.

"So I was thinking that I could take you guys to the estate today." Brendon said.

"Brendon..." Ryan warned.

"They'll be safe, I promise." Brendon begged him. Ryan sighed in defeat. Sarah and I ate our breakfast quickly and headed to her room to change quick before heading over to Brendon's estate, which was about half an hour drive out in the middle of nowhere. 

"Oh wow

"Oh wow..." Sarah said looking out the window.

"You like it?" Brendon asked.

"It's beautiful! I can't wait to see inside!" She said while bouncing with excitement. We got out of the car and Brendon led us into the beautiful mansion.

"It's quite modern on the inside, but there's a special room I want to show you guys. Especially you, Sarah." Brendon said taking her hand. Ryan and I followed behind them, I was turning my head each way to look at the expensive paintings and interesting furniture pieces. Brendon opened the door and both our jaws dropped. The room had couches and chairs covered in velvet, jewelry shined from display cases, bottles of wine covered in dust sat on display, expensive gowns were hung on clothing racks, there was even stacks of cash.

"This could all be yours someday." Brendon said, winking to Sarah.

"What?" I told him, was he trying to propose to my friend already?

"Shh!" Sarah said to me and waved me off. Brendon showed us the expensive purses and tiaras, spouting off brands like I knew what they meant.

"Sister, you seem unimpressed." Brendon said to me.

"It's all really pretty, I just don't have expensive taste." I shrugged.

"It grows on you." Brendon said taking one of the tiara's out of it's glass case and placing it on Sarah's head. She looked head over heels in love with him.

"Can I explore the rest of the house?" I asked.

"Sure, Ryan go with her." Brendon said while gazing upon Sarah's smile (heh). We left the fancy room and saw the kitchen, dining room, three living rooms, and then he lead me into a bedroom. The bed was very large, with a nightstand on each side supporting oil lamps. The walls were lined with book cases and shelves containing antiques.

"I love this." I said looking around.

"Really?" Ryan asked.

"Yeah, this is my favorite room!" I said with a big smile as I perused the book shelves.

"It's my room." He said, his cheeks blushing.

"I figured." I laughed. He showed me his collection of vinyls and favorite books.

"What's this?" I said picking up an old photograph. It was of Ryan, but he had on a coat with a floofy scarf on and dress pants.

"Is this you?"I asked him.

"Yeah, on my 18th birthday. About a month before I turned actually." He said admiring the photograph.

"What happened? If it's okay to ask."

"Wrong place at the wrong time, I guess. I had five sisters, and the youngest one got scared one night and thought she heard something outside by the barn. I went out there and found someone attacking one of our cows. When I approached the man and told him to stop what he was doing, he jumped on me and bit me. I blacked out and when I woke up, I was in a bed with my arm wrapped up where he bit me. I felt different, I wanted to go home, but then I found out I was a monster." He said while taking a seat on his bed. I sat next to him and hesitantly reached for his hand. Ryan grabbed it and laced his fingers with mine.

"You're not a monster." I told him.

"I know that now. We were less civilized as a species back then, but I still miss my family even though they're long dead now."

"So what's the deal with the blood stuff, like do you ever hunt?" I asked, still keeping my fingers entwined with his.

"Not anymore. Brendon does all the online ordering because I don't quite understand the internet? But he buys it from somewhere and it gets delivered to a post office and we go pick it up in boxes. We don't drink human blood though, if you're concerned." He said.

"I mean, you guys haven't sunk your teeth in yet so I figured you had control at least." I laughed.

"I prefer chicken blood, pigs blood is a little fatty." Ryan said with a cute smile. I shivered and he laughed like a chorus of angels.

"I like spending time with you, especially here." He said.

"I really like spending time with you too." I told him, feeling the butterflies in my stomach.

"And you have eyes more beautiful than sunsets." He said before blushing and looking away.

"Ryan... you are so-" I was cut off by knocking on the door. Ryan got up and answered the door to see Brendon and Sarah.

"Gwen, your mom is calling my phone." Sarah said holding up her new phone since Brendon broke her old one.

"That's weird, mine must be dead." I said taking the phone from her.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Hey sweetie, I tried calling you but your phone just went to voicemail." My mom said on the other line.

"Oh yeah I think it's dead, what's up?"

"Just wondering when you're coming home for dinner, I can pick you up from Sarah's." She said.

"No it's okay, Sarah and I went to the mall. She'll drop me off soon." I told her.

"Okay, see you soon." My mom said before we hung up.

"I have to get going back home." I told all of them.

"Yeah, we have school tomorrow..." Sarah sighed.

"You'll come visit again soon, right?" Brendon asked.

"Of course!" She answered. They brought us back to Sarah's and I walked home, just thinking about the time I spent with Ryan. He was so gentle and good and still a little weird, but I was falling for him whether he liked it or not.