Life After High School

I walked outside my now old high school as I looked at it. I can't believe I just graduated. Four years in that school and eighteen years in this town has come to an end. I was standing in front of the high school where I spent the last four years. It wasn't horrible but wasn't like life changing either. It was okay. But it felt weird that I wouldn't be returning ever again. Just then I felt two arms wrap around me. I turned to see my best friend, Catherine, looking at me with a huge smile. "I can't believe we are done with this place."

I smiled back at her. "Yeah, seems so unreal. Four years in the this place and now we are done."

She pulled back and asked, "Does it make you sad, Seth?"

I shook my head. "I am ready to get out of here. By the end of the summer, I will be in Rhode Island going to school."

"At least you are getting the hell out of this state. I am stuck in this state another four years." She almost complained.

I smiled at her. "University of Connecticut is a good college. Plus, we can visit each other as we are not far away."

She smiled at me now. "That is a plus. I don't want to be too far from my best friend."

Just then her boyfriend walked over to us. "Hey, babe." He gave Catherine a kiss.

She kissed him back. Then he looked at me. "Hey, MacFaggot."

I rolled my eyes at him. "Hey, Jake." I only mumbled.

Catherine got anger at him. "Jake, you are an asshole sometimes. Leave Seth alone."

He just smiled. "But you love me anyways." Then he looked at me. "And he knows I am just messing with him." Then he asked me, "Right, MacFaggot?" I didn't say anything to him but roll my eyes. Then he looked at Catherine. "So, you going tonight?"

"Uh, yeah. Seth and I will be there." She told him.

I eyed her quickly. There was a graduation party that night and she wanted me to go, which I was not interested in. But now she was telling her boyfriend we were going. "Alright, babe. See you tonight." He gave her a kiss and moved on.

I looked at her. "Why did you tell him I was going?"

"Cause you are. I need you there." She told me.

"Why the hell do you need me there, Cat?" It was my nickname for her.

She sighed and said, "Cause I know I will need an escape."

"From what?" Now I was curious.

"I'm breaking up with Jake tonight." She told me.

I looked at her in shock. They were together since their freshman year. He was Captain of the football team and she was a cheerleader. They were named best couple and most likely to get married. They seemed like a match made in heaven, but I always felt like she deserved better as I knew her better then anyone else. I asked her in shock, "Why?"

"First of all, he is an ass." She said.

I chuckled. "I could have told you that."

"And he is going to school in Texas. I am not stupid, we will break up anyways. He will play college ball and meet other girls and since I am not around, he will forget about me. It's better to do this before we part ways." She said, almost sadly.

I moved an arm around her. "Well, I will be there. Honestly, I am glad to see you get rid of that Neanderthal." I cracked, hoping to make her feel better.

She looked at me and smiled. "And I do hate how he picks on you. It pisses me off. I am so over the way he acts."

I smiled at her. "Come on. You can go try on a hundred things and ask me how you look and I will tell you great and you still change into something else."