Life Keeps Moving

After my mom's death, I struggled with it a bit. Cat was a saint the entire time. She was sad to see my mother go but she was also my rock. Seth also had a hard time dealing with it. It was his second grandparent that he lost. He really didn't remember too much about his grandfather's death but his grandmother's hit him a little hard. He didn't cry but he was quieter then usual. He didn't know how to express the feelings he felt. Cat and I just let him know we were there for him. But he still closed us off. He just went more into his reading and drawing. Cat reminded me not to push him. Time did slowly heal our wounds. I went back to work and Seth started his senior year. It was quite something to know my son was doing his last year of high school. But the next half a year went by quickly. It was now February and Cat was nine months pregnant. I stayed close to home as Cat was due soon. We decided to not find out the sex of the baby as we just wanted it to be a surprise. I was actually happy Cat agreed to it. But she also made it loud and clear that this was her last pregnancy as it was rough on her as she wasn't as young as she once was. I came home, one afternoon, to see my pregnant wife folding laundry. I frowned at her. "Why do that when I have someone for that?"

"Cause they don't do it right." She only said.

I chuckled at this. "God, you really are in the nesting phase, huh?"

She smiled at me and nodded. Then I asked, "Did Seth get home from school yet?"

She nodded again. "Yeah, and he had a few surprises waiting for him."

"Oh, yeah, what is that." I was curious.

She stood up and went into the kitchen as I followed. She had me about five different letters. I went through them one by one. They were early acceptance letters to a few colleges he applied for. UCLA, University of San Francisco, Duke, University of Florida, and RISD. I was floored and also over the moon that he got accepted in the same college I went to. I looked at Cat as she smiled, proudly. "He already have been accepted to these schools?" I asked.

"Yeah." She said as a very proud mom. "You should have seen him, Seth. He was over the moon."

I smiled at this. I have learned to accept that he was going to college soon. I wasn't exactly happy, but I accepted it. But now, seeing this, I couldn't lie, I was proud. Very proud. And I knew this was the beginning. More letters would come. Then I asked her, "Has he decided where he wanted to go?"

Then she shook her head. "He is still undecided. I think right now he is trying to reel from it all, honestly."

"Is he in his room?" I asked.

She nodded then said, "Look, Seth, don't go up there and making this more complicated for him. He has a big decision to make and I am sure more colleges will send letters which will make it more of a decision for him. So, don't go up there giving him a hard time."

"I won't." I told her. "I just want to congratulate him, myself. I mean, this is amazing, Cat. All these schools want our son. This is incredible. I really am proud of our boy."

She smiled at me. "I am too."

Then I moved in and took her lips. I moved a hand on her belly. I broke the kiss and asked, "So, how is our little one doing?"

"Great. Moving around a lot today. My due date can't come fast enough. Ready for our little one to get here." She almost breathed.

I just smiled. "Our little one will be here soon, baby."

She smiled back at me and then I said, "I'm going to talk to our soon to be college boy."

She chuckled and nodded. I walked away and walked upstairs. I got to Seth's room and knocked on the door. I heard him yell out, "Come in!"