6; The Black Pearl

6; The Black Pearl

Felicity and James set a steady pace for their walk back to the Governor's manor

Felicity and James set a steady pace for their walk back to the Governor's manor. The red-head felt more than ever the watchful eyes of the masses as they stopped to admire the couple. She knew her presence next to a man who had just proposed to another would arouse suspicion. She shifted uncomfortable when a pair of Navy men all but gawked at her as they turned onto the long driveway to the front steps.

"What were you thinking?" James finally muttered, breaking the silence between them.

Felicity glanced up at him before looking down at the ground, "Elizabeth asked me to check on Will. I never expected the pirate to find me there."

"He could have killed you." James finally says through his teeth.

Felicity whirled on him, "Do you think I don't know that? I know what kind of damage a pirate can do."

"Do you?" James asked. "Because part of me thinks you like the danger."

"Wanting adventure and freedom is not the same as seeking danger, James."

"Isn't it though."

She ripped her arm from his grasp and looked up at him, "What about you then? Each time you head out to see with the Royal Navy, you claim it's for the adventure. However, when you come home all you talk about is the number of criminals you've caught in the name of the king."

"That's different."

"Is it?" She asked, before tears brimmed in her eyes. "When I see your ship sail from Port Royal you take a piece of me with you. All I ask is that you come back safely. We need you. I need you."

James didn't know how to respond as he watched the red head run ahead of him and into the safety of the Governor's house. Felicity, on the other hand, peeked back out through the window. She watched in silence as his figure disappeared among the rolling fog that enveloped the estate. She furrowed her brows at the unnatural thickness, especially after the appearance of a pirate in Port Royal.

It wasn't a coincidence that Jack Sparrow chose to come to a fortified military post, especially on the eve of a Commodore's promotion. She thought back to Jack's reaction to the pirate medallion hanging around Elizabeth's neck. He looked as if he knew where this medallion truly belonged. The woman also detected a hint of resentment and fear for the small object, but how can a pirate resent gold?