~ Chapter 2 ~

By the time we had stopped at a tall building, I was puffing like a steam engine. Carlos rubbed my back. I was more of the sit inside and play music type, rather then the running around type.
"Come on," Jay said. He threw a rock at a 'careful, flying rocks' sign and the door to the stairwell opened. Evie gestured for Ben to go up. Mal must be up there, the reason why we were here in the first place.
"Wish me luck," Ben says. I smile at him.
"All the way up." Says Jay. Ben turns to the stairs and starts climbing. Evie stands on the first step.
"Good luck." She says. She leans against the door frame and sighs. I join Carlos and sit down on a stack of crates while Jay leans against a steal pole. Slowly, the sound of Ben's footsteps faded and all we could do, was wait.

"So? Where's Mal?" Asked Evie. Ben trudged down the stairs with his head down.
"She's not coming back." Said Ben.
"What?" Asked Evie. She followed Ben and the door closed behind her. "Let me talk to her." Evie walked to a pipe, intercom thing and spoke in it. Ben walked past us.
"Ben." I said. He didn't stop. Carlos and I looked at each other. I was beginning to worry.
"M? Mal, it's Evie. Let me just talk to you for a minute. Mal, come on," Evie pleaded with her friend.
"Go away!" I heard Mal shout. Evie sighed.
"Let's just give her a couple of hours to cool off." Jay said and Evie nodded her head. I looked back at the direction that Ben walked off in and couldn't see his figure anymore.
"Guys? Where's Ben?" I asked. Evie and Jay looked around.
"Ben?" Asked Evie. A  silhouetted figure came towards us and Carlos and I sighed in relief.
"Ben, don't scare us like that." I said.
"Don't scare you?" A boy said, his Scottish accent dripping from each word. He looked at me with a wild grin plastered across his face. "That's my speciality."
"Harry." Hissed Evie.
"Evie." Harry said back.
"What did you do to Ben?" Asked Jay.
"Oh him? We nicked him. Yeah. Oh! And if you ever want to see him again, uh, Mal come to the chip shop tonight. Alone. Uma wants a little visit." He grinned. He looked at all of us.
"Ooh Jay. Seems like you lost your touch." Jay tried to jump on Harry, but Evie held him back. Harry laughed and grinned wildly at Jay.
"I don't believe I've had the pleasure. I'm Harry. Harry Hook." He says to me.
"Leave her be, Hook." Jay growled.
"Arianna." I reply, ignoring Jay. "My name is Arianna." Harry grins.
"Arianna." He replies. "Such a pretty name for a pretty girl." He ran his hook through my red waves. I tilted my head away from his hook.
"Don't touch me." I hissed. Harry backed off surprised. His look was calculating, as if he was wondering who I was. My behaviour was strange for an Aurodon kid, but I didn't like the way Harry was behaving around me. And like my father, I could be assertive. Jay placed a hand on my shoulder and gently pulled me back. Harry barked at Carlos and turned away from us whistling a tune. I shivered with fear. I hardly noticed Evie placing her hand on my shoulder and leading me to follow Jay up the wall of the side of the building.

"I can't believe that you bought them both here!" Yelled Mal after we recounted the story to her. "What were you thinking?"
I'm right here, I think to myself.
"Ari is trying to help us. And Ben was going to come either way, we just wanted to protect him." Evie says.
"Yeah, and we totally blew it guys." Carlos said, collapsing on the couch in defeat. There was an awkward pause.
"So what do we do now?" Asked Jay.
"We." Said Mal moving her finger gesturing to all of us. "Are doing nothing." Jay and Evie looked at each other. "This is between Uma and me. And she's a crook, and now I have to go get Ben." Mal says.
"Woah woah woah, Mal. You'll have to go through Harry Hook and his wharf rats." Jay said.
"Yeah, Jay is right." Said Evie.
"Uma said alone." Said Mal.
"Look, guys she's right. And I know one thing. I'm not going anywhere." Said Carlos. Evie sighed.
"We'll be here when you get back." Said Evie. Mal nodded her head and slipped on her leather jacket. And so we waited, silently hoping that Mal will be back with Ben.

Mal stormed back into the apartment. She kicked the couch in frustration. Ben wasn't in sight.
"So what happened?" Asked Carlos.
"That stupid sea witch, that's what happened." Mal yelled. I was scared. We all know what Mal is capable of. I wouldn't want to be victim to that. Mal's eyes glowed to a brilliant emerald green and she collapsed on the couch next to Jay.
"Mal, calm down. Just tell us what happened." Jay soothed, rubbing her back.
"Well. I got to the shop, and I announced my arrival. I sat down at a table and Uma and I insulted each other. Then we made a deal." Mal said. "It was an arm wrestle. If I win, I get Ben. But I was a fool. I didn't want to hear her end of the bargain if I lost. So we started. I was winning, I nearly had her arm pinned. But then."
"Then what?" I whispered.
"Then she told me. 'If I win. You give me the wand.' And I was so shocked that I lost concentration and she won. And to top it all off, it needs to be at her ship tomorrow by noon otherwise Ben's a goner." Mal said.
"What?" Evie asked. "There's no way that we can give Uma the wand."
"Believe me, I know that." Said Mal.
"But if we don't give Uma the wand then Ben is toast." Said Carlos.
"Right, so we're just gonna give Uma the wand. She'll destroy Aurodon!" Evie said. While they bickered I was deep in thought. The wand was pretty much off limits to everybody, so getting it will be almost impossible, let alone getting by noon tomorrow. So, we are at a crossroad. Either, we try and steal the wand. Or we can...That's it!
"Wait, guys!" Everyone stops talking. "A fake wand. We can make a fake wand."
"My 3D printer! In my sleep!" Says Carlos.
"But the second Uma tests it out, she'll know its fake." Says Evie.
"Then we'll just have to make some kind of diversion." Says Mal, suddenly excited.
"Smoke bombs." Says Jay.
"That's perfect, I can pick up the chemicals from Lady Tremaines place. This could work!" Said Evie. "Oh, and sick hair, by the way. Evil step-mom has really stepped up her game." Evie said, running her fingers through Mal's purple locks. Purple suited her much better then the bleach blonde look she was going for back in Aurodon.
"Okay, you want to know something? Dizzy did this." Mal said. I didn't know who Dizzy was, but she sure was amazing at hair.
"Little Dizzy, shut up." Said Evie. The two started giggling about the hair style and I looked at the boys who just rolled their eyes.
"Ahem!" Coughed Carlos.
"Hello?" Asked Jay. The girls turned around to face them.
"Oh, right. Jay, Carlos. You guys meet us at pirates bay, no later then noon" Said Mal. "Arianna..."
"I could spy on them." I offer. "Like, swim around them. I am a mermaid, after all." I say.
"Perfect." Says Mal. "Meet is at pirates bay same time as the boys. And you guys. Losing? Not an option. Cause we're rotten."
"To the core." Evie, Jay and Carlos finish the sentence.
"Let's do this." Says Evie.

~
~
~