iii - chaotic bones; tristan

* pov: third person (tristan) *

===

Tristan's life was ironic cruelty at its finest.

First, she gets named something you'd only see in some of the worst fanfics. Tristan VIVERE Noir. Her mom had always made the meaning of it clear so that she wouldn't feel so bad, but it only made her feel worse - 'Tristan' meant 'sad' (representing the bittersweet love between her parents), 'Vivere' meant 'to live' in Latin (because her mother just wanted her to live life to the fullest), and her surname, Noir, meant 'black' in French.

Pulled apart with their significance, one guesses you could say it was okay. But altogether? Her name literally meant 'sad life'. That was one red flag.

Next, her mom comes up to her baby self and cries about the other man she loved and how she was torn between the two gods. Justin then gets born - a cute baby boy that looked exactly like Tristan. Justin Celeste was his name - "righteous and heavenly/lively". Better name choice.

Now Tristan and Justin grow up together. They don't know, don't care, that they had different fathers. People would mistake them for twins sometimes, even when they were pretty different - Justin was louder but held more rivals than friends, Tristan was more invisible but managed to hold onto a select few.

And then... Their mother gets into an accident. It was heartbreaking to hear the news in class while the substitute let them watch, and, well, she cried. Her mother had raised her and Justin singlehandedly without letting the house burn down. They raced to the hospital to see their beloved mother in a critical condition. It was more painful than anything she'd gone through so far.

They were now in the 'care' of their uncle. He was nice and all, but he was away for the majority of the day, so it was up to Tristan to singlehandedly raise her brother without letting the house burn down.

When Justin was nine, another freaking tragedy happened, this time to him, something so serious and painful to remember, something so shocking and heart-stopping for everybody, something so traumatizing when she thought she wouldn't hear Justin's voice again-

"Tri-is-tan!"

She turned around and met the grey eyes of her little brother as his head leaned on her shoulder. She sighed at that action, though inside she secretly loved the sudden bursts of affection whenever it narrowed down to only him and her against the frightening world.

It had only been mere hours since Alizia's, Yvonne's, Yzonne's, and Markus' claimings. All four of which were dragged to their respective cabins by a senior — Chiara Benvenuti got Alizia, Yvonne and Yzonne were dragged by Damien White, and Markus (while complaining about his clothes) was forced into perfume hell by Drew Tanaka. Peter McLean would've done it, but Drew was so delighted by another person who could charmspeak (no idea what that was) that she literally jumped out of the cabin the second she heard about it.

And that left the Noir siblings. Like always.

"What is it, Justin?" She sighed, shooting him a look.

"Do you ever think we're just meant to be children of Hermes?" He asked, sitting up straight and looking into space. "Maybe dad was just busy and forgot to claim us!"

The wind blew and let her hair flutter to her face. She'd considered that as the only other possible option. It wasn't that they were normal mortals and that they weren't supposed to be inside the camp — all, or at least, almost all (looking at you, praetor of Camp Jupiter) demigods had ADHD and dyslexia, which all six of them had. And normal mortals couldn't see or enter Camp Half-Blood.