Chapter 3

Lol the pic is harry trying to win back Louis' favor

The celebration of the Falling Star came to be a thousand years ago and has been the core of any wolf pack's festivities for just as long. Harry's wolves are no less eager to indulge in the tradition this full moon now that they believe all obstacles for their leading mated pair have been overcome. Louis lives in the packhouse once again but in a separate bedroom from his Alpha so that he retires each night to the home his pack recognises to be the rightful one for him. Three weeks after returning to what slivers of routine him and Harry could rekindle has Louis filling his clothing like he used to, smiling at those who addressed him and visiting Niall once a day to discuss the state of his personal affairs.

"You know they're going to want to see you two together tonight." Niall comments to his companion. Their tea has turned cold while Louis took to sitting on the floor in front of the fire, poking at the lump of ash beneath burning logs.

"I know." Louis is transfixed by the flames; it offers a mental numbness so he may escape this bothersome reality. "I haven't spoken to Harry about it."

During the first festival hosted by their wolf ancestors, mated couples still in their prime and youth were celebrated. It symbolised a future for the wolf race at a time when they were almost extinct and that sacred importance cannot be bypassed for a dispute. If Harry is willing as well then Louis will sit beside him under the moon tonight to satisfy their pack's wishes during their celebrations.

"Has he said anything at all? It's been a month since-"

Louis cleared his throat. "He hasn't and I don't think I want him to."

"You are my best friend and I will take the liberty to be blunt with you, Lou." Niall wakes from his couch and joins Louis on the ground, pulling the latter's eye from the fire. He ignores Louis' apprehension to speak honestly. "A position of power is what every wolf desires when eligible, but it is also a wonderful honour to achieve something like what you two have. Centuries of wolves have existed as leading pairs but only a few we remember, the wisest and kindest that did great things for our kind."

"What are you saying, Ni?" Louis prompts after a stifling minute of silence.

Niall captured Louis' hands on his knees and squeezed lightly. "It is an insult to our forefathers to let this fight ruin the height of your relationship. You are weaker apart, whether either of you believes that or not. What gave Harry this privilege is more noteworthy than his bloodline and what gave him you should not be thanked so callously."

* * * * *

Harry was not at his desk as he usually is nor was he dressed to a flawless detail as has become custom to witness. Louis walked in on the Alpha in his study and stopped short at the sight of Harry on the floor, one knee bent in the air for his elbow to rest on. He had papers scattered about him whilst in a partial state of nudity, and Louis could curse at how blind he was.

The Alpha is no different physically for it would be a sign of death if a dominant allowed themselves to shrivel even in the worst of distress. Harry had the same chiselled but mountainous physique as always; hunched shoulders that buckled under mighty muscle and arms that rippled from every twitch. It was not on his skin that which concerned Louis.

"What's wrong?" The Omega had another purpose in coming here but couldn't seem to remember it now.

Harry is a proud beast and he would die in combat before admitting that he was growing weak in the heart. Beneath his eyes were bruises from empty slumbers and his fingers trembled from a profound restlessness at the sight of Louis. His breaths caused his chest to sink further in than usual, adding a hollow illusion to his torso that only complemented the gloom which seemed to shadow Harry.