Chapter 5

Harry tore apart the woods in his search for Louis, not surrendering in his pursuit until every acre had been inspected by himself after his hunters. Every step was tainted by misery and heavy-heartedness at the loss of his mate, although the only thing between them was vast distance. He hadn't meant to but he had ripped through at least seven trees and taken down some of the largest bears in their forest. Daniel followed Harry no matter how fast the Alpha ran or how fiercely he threatened the former dominant; he would be as unyieldingly loyal as he could be at all times.

Louis' scent died at the territory's edge no matter where that end was. Whoever took Louis had his scent brushed up against as many convenient places amongst the trees as possible until the pack gates arise and then it just disappears. Harry cannot pick up Louis' scent for miles after that even as the days peeled onward like his flesh is ripped off, and eventually two nights have passed without progress.

All Harry saw when he came back to the pack are the wolves Louis helped everyday he could. The packhouse holds nothing for him except the bedroom in which Louis slept when they'd mated, separated and reconciled. The room's sanctity is tainted by his Omega's absence but Harry cannot find it in himself to retire to any other room in the packhouse. He can't think of it as home anymore either.

Tearing mates apart is supposed to ruin them like pouring acid through their individual veins. Harry hates that notion, despises the grounds upon which it is based. Being away from Louis to this extent – knowing the Omega will not receive him at the end of the day with a mug of warm milk and nutmeg – felt more like being bathed in the flames on the sun's surface all day long as long as he's conscious. There was nothing but anger in Harry, cold and drastic fury that duelled the monster in his wolf and made it seek nothing but blood even in his human form.

"Alpha, you must train." Daniel came to Harry with a bitter reminder, standing tensely in the doorway but being careful not to enter. The bedroom is the only place Louis' scent still lingers after two whole days. "The challenge still awaits you."

Harry was up from his seat by the window and stalking toward Daniel in a heartbeat. He shouldered past the other Alpha like they were strangers and walked away without a word aside from the growl permanently emanating from his chest. Outside, the pack was uneasy and at the sight of their hostile Alpha took a step back as one. Harry is not a threat to the oldest or youngest among them but he is also one who none wanted to be around.

For a minute, Harry stood at the peak of the staircase without saying anything and looking no different than the day Louis was stolen. He winces at the memory; his Omega was taken from him and he had not bothered to entertain the thought of Louis planning to leave him. They were doing so well recovering what could have been obliterated until then.

"Thomas." Harry's voice was a booming echo that stretched out across the common grounds without strain. "Elijah. Franklin."

After stating the three names Harry made it halfway down the stairs before letting his wolf rip through his clothes and land heavily in the dirt. He stood taller than the Alphas who came forth from being called and he looked at each one, gaging whether they were prepared to fight him, before leading them away to the trees.

Tension hung sourly in the air from heart to heart and everything in between. Daniel emerged from the packhouse and found everyone just getting back to their earlier occupations. He glances at the shredded clothes on the ground and curses before letting his own adornments join the pile.

Harry seems to have no sense of familiarity or brethren when he is found fighting the specimens who embody those attributes. Their pack leader is their finest warrior and never has that stood attested to more than now when Daniel bursts through the trees and finds Harry's wolf in combat with three others. Not any three wolves, but rather brothers from their pack who had the responsibility to train with their Alpha when he asked it. None of them looked happy to be fulfilling their duty this day.