Chapter 6

Six Months Ago.

The pack had gathered at the river outside their territory after their largest hunt of the year. Harry encouraged their wolves to hunt together at least once every twelve months to reinforce their unity as a pack before settling in for the night alongside their closest river. It was not a custom Louis' seen before but was eager to participate, until he heard Harry order him to remain at his side and no other's. The Alpha let every wolf he protected leave the pack territory before escorting Louis as well past the gate.

Harry had the decency to not oppose Louis when the Omega asked to hunt for himself and after an hour's separation, found his mate under the cover of the trees with matted fur and a slouched posture. Louis hadn't been able to hunt anything successfully because their wolves had frightened most of the worthy prey and he refused to use excessive violence to capture something. He was grateful when Harry's wolf came to lie beside him in the dirt without condescension, and nudged the Omega into trying again.

As a hunter, it was discouraging when Louis could not feed himself and he simply denied any offering Harry made from his own kills. Such rejection was not appreciated but Harry bottled up his anger to allow his mate the freedom of failing or succeeding on his own.

Rather than merely falling asleep surrounded by the extraordinary wilderness and those Alphas who would remain awake to guard them, the pack decided to indulge in friendly combat. Wolves sat on opposite sides of the flowing river and any could challenge another to fight in the water under the moonlight until one forfeited.

Harry sat closest to the water in wait for Louis to return before allowing the first duel to commence with a howling tribute to the moon. When Louis finally appeared from the cluster of trees at Harry's back, raised his head off the ground to call the Omega. The Alpha watched his wolves fight with pride swelling in his chest but nothing so fairly compared to Louis' act of curling his body against the dominant's side and resting his head on Harry's back. Louis fell asleep that way, wrapped up in the curve of Harry's body with his mate's tail draped over him protectively.

The unorthodox ceremony the pack conducted at the river's edge was all the hype for many days; many unrecognised Alphas and Betas had proven their worth where Harry might reward them. Due to their noteworthy efforts, Harry obliged in designing a new outline for a younger troop of hunters or assigned guards.

"What do you think, Omega?" Harry had called Louis to his study where he might run the idea over with his mate.

Louis was always awkward when placed alone in the Alpha's company. He could not look Harry in the eye where the man sat twirling a pen at his desk. "I think many of them would be honoured."

"I agree." Harry hoped to coax more of an opinion from the submissive. "Is that all?"

"What's the youngest wolf's age?" Louis asked, channelling the inner Omega he possessed who had much ado with the duties of this pack.

"Sixteen." Was the gruff response he received.

This was a relief for Louis would not put it past his mate to recruit wolves too soon in their years. "Then I have no objection."

Harry could see it in Louis' eye that the Omega had more to say. "I believe you do not object but I'd like to hear everything you're thinking."

Louis hesitates but Harry's stare in unyielding and he has no way of leaving this room without the Alpha's permission, so he acquiesces. He comes nearer and takes a seat across from Harry, fighting the urge to cross his legs. "Did you see Daniel's brother in his challenge?"

"Yes." Harry drops the pen to steeple his fingers at his chin, his concentration rendering a steady frown as he leans forward.

"Well, he's only fifteen." Louis points out justly. "On the other hand, Mark is seventeen and lost his fight in less than two minutes."