VI. Sonic the Hedgehog

I spent the morning on the couch in the Freedom Fighters base trying to convince myself I hadn't lost my speed and that everything was going to be okay. I hated feeling sorry for myself, but I couldn't help it. I felt as powerless as when Sally had gotten turned into a robot.

"It ain't nice seein' you like this," Bunnie said. She and Sally came in, sitting down in the chairs.

"Trust me, I don't like it any more than you," I sighed, lifting my arm into the air. "It's just a lot to come to terms with."

"Maybe you should do something," Sally suggested. "Keep your mind off of everything."

"I was going to take Cream to the chao garden," I said. "After all, I haven't been able to take her in more than two weeks."

Sally smiled. "She would like that. She's been worried sick about you."

"That girl is too sweet for her own good," Bunnie joked.

"Especially since we're constantly in the middle of a war," I added, getting up.

"Come back tonight," Sally said. "We're leaving just after sunset."

I enjoyed the breeze on my face as I walked, the sun warm and comforting. I stopped just outside of an entrance into the city. Cream's house was in the middle of everything, and there would be so many people out and about in the middle of the day. I didn't really want to be seen by the people in town. Every stare I got would remind me that I had lost and let everyone down.

Still... I couldn't let people staring and whispering at me stop me from walking around the town I lived in.

I felt differently when I got into the city and walked toward Cream's house. I was used to people marveling at me and pointing and staring with awe, but this wasn't the same. The streets turned quiet as I walked down them, people whispering and pointing but looking so... baffled. Some even looked angry. I felt my ears flatten against my head, feeling like I had destroyed these people's' faith in me. I had shown them that I could get through anything until a week ago.

Sure, I was going to help fix the situation. But that wouldn't make the people feel any better. The damage that I had done couldn't be undone.

I walked faster, mostly looking at the ground. The expressions on their faces were too much. The chao garden would make me feel better, as long as the battle hadn't scared them away. But they were pretty oblivious, and finding a new home was always hard for them. They liked to stay put.

Another few minutes, and I was knocking on Cream's door. After waiting for a good twenty seconds, I wondered if they were out. But then, the door opened slowly, Cream staring at me from the shadow in wonder. For a few seconds, she seemed stunned, but then a wide smile appeared on her face.

"Mr. Sonic!" she finally yelled, lunging at me in a fierce hug and giggling. I couldn't help but laugh, patting her head. "You're okay!"

"Chao!" her pet chao named Cheese said, taking a place on the top of my head.

"Of course I am!" I replied.

"Come inside!" Cream said, grabbing my hand and dragging me into the house. "Mom!"

"Who was at the door, honey?" Cream's mom asked.

"It's Mr. Sonic!" Cream shouted. She stopped at the kitchen, where her mom was reading a book. There were crayons and paper all over the table as well.

Vanilla stared at me, then closed her book and smiled. "You gave us all quite a scare," she said. "Are you sure you should be up and about?"

"It's not as bad as it looks," I said, shaking my head. "Besides, Eggman isn't going to just surrender quietly."