Chapter 8: Promposals and Whatnot

"Hay-Hay!"

Groans and curses of pain escaped from the trembling table after Hanji practically pounced on top of it and hammered a flyer in my face like a thesis on the Church door. A wash of bright hues flashed at me, warming the darkness, monochromatic soul of mine. The palette of shades was so overwhelming, it was giving me a seizure. Every pair of eyes were snatched up from fellow judgemental peers and hurled at our direction, but the girl remained immune to the needles of unspoken criticism as she seized the pamphlet up to my vision.

I lazily made a mental note of the hot pinks of a ball gown sketch, and the dazzling glittery hair that swept across the flyer dramatically like a Cinderella mopping the floor with her blonde locks. Cool ... so is this a Windex ad?

The excited light in Hanji's orbs were soon overwritten with overt annoyance as she observed my undivided attention bestowed upon the debris of numbers and equations rather than the Disney Princesses fan art she has in her grasp. She grovelled like a five-year old stamping her feet, demanding for the latest Barbie doll that comes with more plastic moulds of shoes.

"Urgh, Hazel! Look at this!" She tried shoving the two-dimensional tresses in my face again.

"Mhm." Humming routinely, my eyes still fixed upon the chicken scratches of figures. Their knobby elbows and awkward knees were scrawled across the dry leaves of pages, like a line of ants wandering towards the edge and off onto the table.

The limit does not exist.

"Come on! This is prom we're talking about! PROM!"

"Hm, nice." I smiled down at the curves of my graph. She still hadn't gotten to the point where I'm supposed to care.

"Adler!" She roughly grabbed hold of my cheeks, competing with my Calculus textbook for my attention, "Stop being such a nerd and listen to me."

Who would have expected those words out of Hanji, the Hanji, who risked her life for baby reptiles as a part of her experiment? Who would drag you out of your beauty sleep to 'brief' on a scientific epiphany at two in the morning? Who probably writes romance fanfiction with Galileo Galilei and Charles Darwin and Isaac Newton, all in the name of science?

"Is this where you ask me out to prom?" I grinned at her glasses, slapping her hands away.

"No, but I bet someone else will." Her forehead gave way to the Mexican wave of her brows as they mischievously wriggled.

"And who might that be?"

"I am sworn to secrecy!" The future young scientist's mouth quivered in a forced line. Weight of silence caused her chin to tremble slightly, as she struggled to keep the words from bubbling out of her throat. I wasn't about to pry.

"..."

"Girl, let's go together! Maybe we'll drag along Erwin and Mike and Moblit and Levi as dates; not like they've got a choice!"

The sisters of Hanji's brows did their thing again, worming on the dancefloor of Hanji's forehead.

This was starting to sound polygamous as fuck.

It felt as if a giant hand had clouted a hole in the library ceiling, with all the radiance of stars channelling over Hanji. Her excitement had an exuberance that was uncontainable; even the brightness of the sun paled in comparison. It felt like I was purposely doing a rain dance to summon a thunderstorm to smother out her sunshine, "There's going to be so much food! And I can't wait to go shopping for dresses! You'd look so cute in one, although we'll probably need to get you a bombshell bra because you've got mosquito-bite tits-"