Chapter 12: Know Your Place Pt.2

The grey lead scratched painfully as it was trundled across the rough pages. Numbers spilled across my book in puddles, coagulating into strings of equations. They were realities. They were objective. They were free of emotions.

In the corner of my eye, Levi's figure was distinctly carved out of the background as he hunched over a few books in my bookcase, occasionally running a slim finger over the spines and flipping through the pages the colour of tea. A few instances, I perceived him turning in my direction, eyeing my weary frame crumpled to the fatigued desk, stapled to my work, stapled to my dreams. I noted his serenity, his perceptive eyes, an aura of reverence, as he circled my room.

Surprisingly, the stash of food ration under my bed and barrels of water, which would have triggered Levi to the point of him breaking down in a seizure, did not bait daggers of insults flying my way. Instead, he cradled his chin suspiciously like a parent snooping around for weed in their teenager's room.

"Do you want me to stay tonight?" He suggested in an awkward pace. The boy lumbered his way towards the window, predicting my rejection. Light from the outside world attempted to spite him away from the frame.

Yes.

"I don't mind."

"Is that a yes or a no?"

"You don't have to leave." I reluctantly announced, grimacing at what I was about to admit, "Just stay."

Catching those beady little eyes of his skulking on the heap I call a bed, lingering, a thought plagued my mind, prompting an offer that cannot be refused.

"Well, since you don't have a proper bed, you can sleep in mine tonight. I can take the floor."

"As if I'll let you do that."

"No, I mean it."

"And I don't give a shit." His arm tore up through the air and snatched up my wrist, yanking me away from the comfort of my books into bed with him. Covers were hurled over me, and I watched an arm skulk over protectively and tuck the blanket under my shoulder. Hunching, his spine a rigid column that arched over me. I wondered if he was about to topple over me any moment.

It wasn't long before he located the switch mounted on the wall and gave darkness permission to swallow us. I turned towards his figure, melting into the shadows.

My eyelids fluttered shut. The back of his hand traced over my knuckles under the sheets hesitantly.

"How does a proper bed feel?" I murmured.

"Not bad."

"You know I won't be able to sleep tonight."

"I won't either."

A moment followed.

"Tell me something." I turned to the boy.

"School is the usual shitty mess. Hanji is louder without you."

"Yeah, I expected that. I kinda missed her too."

"You better come back soon to shut her up."

Despite his blunt vagueness, Levi cleared his throat expectedly, as if awaiting a similar comment I would make about him.

"Oh, I was relieved to be free from you. Until you showed up tonight." I added, the side of my lip tugging up smugly.

Beside me, a crisp sound of the male clicking his tongue leaked into the shadows. I could smell the night air on him. The rugged covers soaked up the rest of the cheap detergent scent. He brought the city into my room. I breathed him in.