Chapter 15: Troubles in Paradise Pt.3

Columns of light glided past. The engine purred and the tar road unrolled beneath us.

I snapped my gaze up at the pillars made concrete and glass, admiring their grandeur beauty, like glowing limbs reaching for the spoilt skies. The passing wind whipped up a tear with motherly love before I could wipe it away myself.

In an instant, the raven-haired boy gripped the throttle bar expertly and the bike weaved between the clustered cars. Curious and sick of self-pity, I peered over his shoulder, hypnotised by the maze of lights on the main road. Traffic in the city, I imagine from above, looked like a ruptured nerve bleeding radiance. Cars piled like rubble forming a glowing frame of bones, and Levi pierced through the congestion like a needle.

I don't think I had ever seen anything more beautiful.

The cold breeze splashed the splinters of his dark hair against my face. His hair swept at my eyes, and I immediately closed them. The vehicle suddenly jolted and I instinctively snaked my arms around his firm waist, huddling closer as the boy shielded me from the wind.

He smelled like detergent. It left a strange homely feeling behind.

Strange. I thought.

Is this what Snow White must have felt when her prince swept her away on a horse after learning not to bite into poison apples? Or Cinderella as Prince Charming, again, swept her away from her feral sisters? Did these princes also smell like detergent and Windex?

"Stupid." I stifled a laugh. What the hell was I thinking? I'd rather die than be considered remotely close to a damsel in distress. Besides, I didn't like apples or cleaning. And Levi sure as hell didn't have a horse and a castle. He has a rented motorbike and was nearly evicted out of his apartment. God knows how many debt collectors he has outrun.

"I know you are." He muttered in front of me.

"You better take that back, you little shit."

I didn't know any better before he took one of his hands off the handlebar and reached for mine. My hand flinched as his warmth encased over mine, interlaced with my fingers, holding them close to him. And for once, I soothed my breathing and let down my guard, tightening my fingers in response, gripping onto his.

My dark eyes trailed, tracing after his wisps of hair, softening as my mouth pulled into a silent smile. One he'll never know of.

"Well, will you look at that?" His head turned a little to my mocking awe, "Midget Batman is one-handing this."

"Why don't I try no-hands?" He countered.

"Unless you want to die."

________________________

We dodged out of the harsh artificial lights as his bike sputtered to a halt. Shadows overtook once more, accompanying the midnight coldness that bit into my skin.

I suppose this is the time my carriage turns back into a pumpkin.

With a heaved sigh, those arms of mine were undraped from Levi's abdomen as my soles scraped gently against the ground below. His arm jerked as if to prevent my fingers from slipping away, but the boy held back, watching me with a side glance as I stripped myself from him. A little piece of me wished he stopped me, but we both knew better.

I stood up and tossed my hair to the side, avoiding his gaze. Avoiding the uncomfortable fact that I had been crying.

"Uh ... thanks." He looked up expectedly as I coughed out awkwardly, regaining my composure, "You saved me a lot of walking. Miles, actually."