Chapter 14: Romantic Double Date

The padded words bled from his lips. His firm lilt rung of freedom, independence, and promise of a brighter future. It sounded like an advertisement for life insurance. Awfully grandiose for a student council president speech. Awfully grandiose for a gym full of half-asleep students. But he liked that sort of thing, despite us urging him to cut it out. Even underneath those bushy eyebrows of his, you can see those clear eyes light up, competing with the sun.

This was basically the 100th rerun of his speech, and I could recite along with him.

I leaned over to Hanji casually, my mouth poised behind my palm.

"Think Erwin's eyebrows should be doing his speech for him?"

"Some say he named them." She chimed.

"Justice. And Liberty."

"More like Sawney and Bean."

"What about Kylie and Kendall? Come on, Hanj. You can tell he keeps up with the Kardashians."

"Wow, and you say I'm fucked up."

Behind our filled row of bleacher seats, a sudden gaze of air bit at my nape before a rolled-up brochure bluntly cracked against mine and Hanji's skull, killing a healthy portion of brain cells. If I failed my finals, we'll all know why.

"If I shaved his eyebrows off, then we wouldn't need this conversation. So, shut it, you brats. Both of you." Levi muttered harshly behind us.

Oh, he has made a grave mistake.

We couldn't resist the opportunity now. Both our glances were rerouted to the stoic boy seated behind, whose eyes narrowed suspiciously at the renewed interest he so helplessly tried to diminish. Those orbs held the light of God to smite us down.

"I'll pay you fifty." I offered. Hanji's face lit up immediately, her vessel could no longer contain the enthusiasm, "YES! WE CAN SELL IT ON EB-"

Before we could continue bribing Levi to eradicate Erwin's eyebrows, a sharp bellow tore in our direction. It snatched up our attention. Our absolutely-necessary discussion was not helping Pixis' hangover, "For Christ's sake, shut up already! I don't get paid enough for this.

Mike's brow furrowed at us, "Guys, I didn't even do anything."

And of course, that prompted Levi to Tch! and rub his temples in annoyance.

---------------------------------

[The actual chapter starts here LOL – I just like writing hangout scenarios]

"Brat, why do you keep doing stupid shit like this?"

"Shut up, Levi. You're gonna get us caught. Act normal." I bit back in a stifled retort.

I tried to sink into that quicksand of a shabby seat comfortably, despite desperately clawing at the armrests before kneeing Levi in the face. Blunt fingernails dug into my leg as a deadpan expression from the youth next to me lasered deep sizzling holes into the side of my face.

"Are you trying to kick my head off?" He mumbled as he set my foot down.

The real question is what kind of shit have people been doing in these back seats in the dark. It was like trying to sit in a fucking pothole. I'm not here to take a shit.

"Hazel, pass me the popcorn." A pair of spectacles twisted towards me. With those lenses, glimpses of the bold text dispensing its final warning flashed at me, proudly endorsed by the motion picture distributor association in all its dark, murky glory. Sneaking into an intensely gruesome horror film, allegedly banned in several countries but not in this dodgy, semi-illegal cinema has got to be one of the best things I've ever up to this point in my life.