An Unexpected Gift

"You have to go!" Jessica pulled her coat tighter around her body in a desperate attempt to keep herself warm as the two friends strolled through the snowy village of Hogsmeade. The icy air turned her breath into tiny white clouds as she spoke. "We've never had a ball before. It's going to be fun!"

Lena stopped at the shop window of Dervish & Banges, examining the magical supplies they had on display. "Events like that are never fun," she said absentmindedly. "And also, no one has asked me."

Jessica laughed. "Because you don't give them a chance. You only have eyes for the dungeon bat."

"Don't call him that," Lena responded weakly. She knew it was no use to point it out all the time, but it had become a habit of hers.

Ignoring her reprimand, Jessica put an arm around her friend's shoulder. "We'll go together. You and me. And I don't want to hear any more negativity from you."

Lena sighed, the sudden puff of air making a few big snowflakes whirl around. "If you insist."

"I do." Jessica squeezed her shoulder excitedly. "We are going to have a great time! And now, let's go in and take a look at that crystal ball you've been staring at."

With that, she shoved the perplexed girl through the creaking door and into the store. As soon as they entered, a happy little melody chimed from the golden bells that were hanging above the entrance.

A friendly-looking, elderly witch with white hair and blue-rimmed glasses rushed to greet her new customers. "Welcome to Dervish & Banges," she exclaimed proudly. "Is there anything I can help you with?"

Just as Jessica was opening her mouth, the woman raised her hand. "No! No, don't say anything! I can sense it." Dramatically, she placed her long fingers on her forehead, massaging her temples.

"Ugh," Jessica huffed quietly. "Must be one of Trelawney's besties."

Lena gave her a disapproving look but waited silently for the witch to continue.

"Ah, yes," the store clerk mumbled. "Yes, it's quite clear. Come with me, my dear." She smiled encouragingly at Lena and pointed to a glass case in the corner. "I have just the right thing for you."

Confused, the two girls followed her.

"This is an extraordinary piece of magic," the witch explained as she carefully opened the case. "I've had quite a few customers who were interested in purchasing it, but I don't sell it just to anyone." She slid her hand into the glass display, retrieving a beautifully crafted silver necklace with a pendant that made Lena gasp in shock.

As the elderly lady held up the jewelry for the girls to see, a charm in the shape of a large cat dangled from the necklace. It was studded with black diamonds, which sparkled brightly in the cold winter's light that fell through the windows.

"Merlin, Lena!" Jessica squealed. "The panther!"

Lena was unable to react. In disbelief she first stared at the pendant, then at the store clerk, and then again at the jewelry. This sure was an odd coincidence.

The white witch nodded knowingly, as if she was reading her customer's thoughts. "It is very unique. In fact, I have had it on display for years and I knew one day the right person would come to reveal its true magic."

"Where did you get it?" Lena asked breathlessly, her eyes still transfixed on the cat.

As if she hadn't heard her, the woman's facial features suddenly grew grim and a sinister, hazy fog clouded the blue eyes that had twinkled so reassuringly only moments before. "A light that shines for all eternity, that even death won't harm," she whispered in an eerily freezing tone, which made Lena's heart skip a beat. "A light that is meant for one, and only one, to find the counterpart it is missing, guiding two hearts to bond. One of purity and loyal faith, one of darkness and tragic fate. One will be broken and one will cease to be. One has to search and one has to choose. Forever alone or separated by death. Just look closely and mind the shade. White will unite and will always be right. Green lies between the dimensions unseen. Blue is the most trustworthy hue. And finally red is the worst kind of threat, demarking the color of blood to be shed."

Jessica and Lena gaped at each other for a few furious heartbeats. Then, Lena hesitantly reached out her trembling hand, fingertips gently brushing over the necklace. "How much?"

Instantly, the sales clerk returned to her former self. Raising an eyebrow as though Lena had insulted her, she said firmly, "Nothing, of course. It's yours." Gruffly, she shoved the necklace into the dumbfounded girl's hand, and then smiled a professional shop-assistant smile, acting like nothing was out of the ordinary. "What else can I help you with?"

"Um." Lena glanced at her friend, looking for help.

"I think we're good," Jessica stated quickly. "We have to, um, go, um, do some homework."

The old witch nodded and called after them as they hastily exited the store. "Come back and see us again."

The girls ran almost the entire way back to Hogwarts. When they were safely inside the castle walls, they finally allowed themselves to catch their breaths in a deserted hallway.

"What was that about?" Jessica panted, hunched over with her hands on her knees to steady the rhythm of her breathing.

Lena shook her head, still not comprehending what had just happened. She opened her hand in which she was holding the necklace.

"Jess," she shouted in bewilderment. "Jess, look!"

The blonde Slytherin straightened herself and stepped closer to examine the piece of jewelry. A blindingly white light enveloped the pendant, radiating with so much energy that the palm of Lena's hand began to feel warm. The longer the two friends focused on it, the more intense its gleam became.

Suddenly, a tall, dark figure cast its shadow over their heads and both frightened girls spun around at once.

"What would two students of my house be doing in the castle on a day like this, when everyone else is spending their time down in the village?"