A homeless winter night

Walking down an empty street

I continue on with my bare and blistered feet

The winter chills embed in my skin

The cold like a pack of wolves begging to break in

My sopping ragged clothes drag across the stony ground,

I continue to wander not making a sound.

Until my puffy, weary eye spies

A small lighter, hiding from the heavens cries.

I pick it up and sit under shelter

Thinking that this was my little helper

With a flick a fiery light ablaze

Casting an orange glow upon my gaze.

I cast my hands above the glow

sending shivers of warmth to and fro.

Not only is it the warmth it gives me

but also the hope for me to see.

I know the flame will disappear

But at least now my hope is clear.

Shivering in the corner of the street, I sat under the small amount of shelter I could muster from the heavens cries. It’s not easy, I can assure you. People constantly pass by without noticing you, but if they do all they ever see is a piece of trash. It also becomes hard when you see others in your same condition and both of you know you can’t help each other, or they see your vulnerability as an opportunity to take advantage.

I grabbed the remaining bits of fabric that were left on my blanket and huddled against the wall, hoping that it would create a form of insulation or hot air between me and the stone bricks. The shops keepers were closing down their shops and taking their stock off the window displays, the fresh smell of the bakery was slowly fading into the bleak sky. A small downpour of rain begins, enough to soak your clothes where you feel the cold etch into your bones. Huddling in closer to the wall I sit on something hard. Moving over a fraction I pick it up and see a small lighter. Swiping my thumb over the switch, a small burst of flame flickers and dances in front of my face. Casting my other hand over it I felt warmth tingling up and down my hand. It was amazing. I felt a sense of warmth creeping up my arm. Many others see lighters as something cheap and useful only in helping a smoker ruin their health. I see it as something beautiful, hope inspiring and life giving. It gave me enough hope and comfort to sleep through the night amidst the freezing cold.

***

Meanwhile, in a place quite the opposite to where the little girl was, there was great anxiety. Many people were running around and were in consultation with …. The Queen! 

The Queen was getting fatigued. She knew she could no longer rule her kingdom after finding out about her illness, and as her fatigue grew stronger so the kingdoms welfare grew weaker.  This lead to issues such as homelessness and people not being to afford to care for their children. A new heir is needed, but the Queen has no children of her own and her cousins are few, corrupt and greedy. In her most desperate need, she got her one and only trusted advisor to find an heir to the throne. One who knew the people, who wasn’t greedy and could change the kingdom for the better. Off the Advisor went. He was the last hope of finding a leader who wouldn’t further dig the grave of the Queen’s people.