Unicorn Tale

In the moonlight is where I danced

In the moonlight is where I pranced.

Unicorns depend on the moonlight energy,

to reach all of their magical ability.

This little unicorn was most favoured of all,

As, soon she’d be part of the fairies ball!

I ran through the field, the wind blowing my mane. I was chasing after my friends who were dodging me everytime I got close. I was playing tiggy with them. Being able to run is the most exciting gift for a Unicorn! It was nighttime and the moon was full and bright. Us unicorns depend on the light to charge our magic. The moon is what powers us. Without it, we are no different from a normal horse. Tonight was a little different though, there was a weird buzz in the air, one of fairy magic. I only felt it once before, it was when fairy children were playing near us.

When dawn was appearing, we all said our goodbyes to each other and cantered off back to our homes. When I told Mumma, she said the fairies were holding a coronation soon for the new Queen and that is when the magic is at the strongest. She also said a Unicorn might be used at the Coronation to bless the queen and help with the magic, “The magic needs to be at its strongest” Mumma said “Maybe you will be picked.” This set of a nice pleasant feeling in my belly. Imagine it! Fairies, at a ball!!!

When the sun was fully out and shining, I had an Idea. If I wanted to be picked for the Fairies Ball, I have to look the prettiest to be chosen by the Fairies. Searching through all of my belongings I tried to find the best accessory I could wear. I tried on hats, I tried on jewellery, but nothing didn’t seem to sit right on me. Finally, after searching for a long time, I found the most beautiful ribbon. It was a beautiful purple colour and had sparkles that glistened in the light. I knew, that with this ribbon, I would be chosen. 

I wanted to show my friends how I looked, so I walked back to the field with my head held high and trotted across to them.

“Wow, you look amazing with that ribbon!” Starlight, my friend came running towards me. She had her mane braided back, she must be trying to impress the Fairies too.

“Thank you. I like your mane” I replied.

Both of us trotted back towards our group of friends, everyone was wearing something different on them. Obviously, everyone knew about the Fairies Ball. I still knew my ribbon looked better, but I didn’t want to say that to any of them.

Soon we was off playing again and were racing each other across the field. While doing this, we realised a small group of Fairy children were watching us play. Everyone was trying to show off, but I saw one little girl crying. She had lost her ribbon in her hair and was worried she’d be in trouble.

I walked up and let fall from my neck my ribbon. The little girl stopped crying and picked it up. 

I turned around to trot back to my friends. I felt exposed now, everyone was wearing something nice and here I was, just plain me. As I returned, a different Fairy came up to me. She wasn’t a child. She was an adult.

“Come with me” She said smiling.

I had been chosen. Me! To the Fairies Ball without my ribbon! My act of kindness and selflessness was important to the fairies. I did’t need to show off how I looked, but just show my kindness.